My pedalboard has become a graveyard

Califa

• Members

Alright, about ten days ago I plugged in and started playing. Turned my Red Witch Medusa on and it produced this macabre crackle/hum sort of sound. I tapped on the enclosure and it produced a thud. After messing around with the knobs for a short while all of the problems seemed to be resolved. No more crackle, no more hum, just a hint of chorus and a bit of trem for the rest of the session. However, the problem has returned a few times since. I just twist the knobs and it's fixed, but it's becoming a pain.

Around the same time, the Wilson effects expression pedal I had hooked up to my Malekko 600D stopped working temporarily. When hooked up it would simply leave the Excess pot at minimum. This problem came and went in the fashion of an undesirable case of genital herpes.

A couple days ago, I switched the battery on my Monsterpiece NPN as it had run out. After switching the battery, the fuzz still wouldn't work, so I called it a day and went out. The next day I decided to give it another go and it sparkled like a star, but I'm {censored}ing terrified it'll die on me.

And finally, about an hour ago, I plugged in, started playing something kind of calm. So I engaged the amp reverb, followed by the NPN for the inevitable crescendo, switched on the Medusa (after which I was forced to pause, so I could mess with the knobs) and for the finishing touch, I switched on the Malekko 600D. Suddenly my guitar signal was cut off and replaced by a reverberated hum. I tried twisting knobs, flipping some switches, switching outputs, cables, power sources and even guitars, but to no avail. With both the Echo and the Excess on full, twisting the time pot produced a change in frequency behind the opaque hum.

At the moment, it's pretty much the 600D, and consequently, the expression pedal, which are completely useless to me. In retrospect, you could attribute the issues with the expression pedal to the expression jack on the 600D. I had nothing else to test it on.

To conclude, I've had a pretty {censored} couple of weeks with my pedalboard. I've always been gentile. I've had all of these pedals for the better part of a year if not longer and they have never failed me before. I feel as though some sort of higher power has taken a massive dump on my gear. I left a message on the Red Witch forum a few days ago, but I'm still waiting for a response. How should I proceed?

*Any sort of response will be rewarded with candy.

• Members

have you tried playing the pedals individually? maybe that can help you pinpoint the issue. it almost sounds like a ground problem..

Double this.

Also, how are you powering the pedals? You'd be amazed at how many seemingly random problems can be traced back to the power supply...

• Members

Those are no-name brands. Stick with Boss and Digitech. They are professional effects.

malekko?!
:confused::lol:

Question - Is it hard to kick ass with your head up your own? I mean, I don't think they'd call you 'Mr. Kickass' if you weren't good at it - it's just puzzling as I assume you can't really see much with your head up your ass.

:idk:

• Members

Question - Is it hard to kick ass with your head up your own? I mean, I don't think they'd call you 'Mr. Kickass' if you weren't good at it - it's just puzzling as I assume you can't really see much with your head up your ass.

:idk:

You might need to adjust the perceptatron on your sarcasmometer.

• Members

I didn't use the patch cables when isolating the pedals. I'm pretty certain I'm {censored}ed.

I just remembered that a while back my Peppermint Fuzz was acting akin to the Medusa. Mike told me to open the pedal and move the wires around with a chopstick. That pretty much fixed the problem. I'm considering doing this with the Medusa, but I fear I might cause further damage. What do you guys think?

• Members

I didn't use the patch cables when isolating the pedals. I'm pretty certain I'm {censored}ed.

I just remembered that a while back my Peppermint Fuzz was acting akin to the Medusa. Mike told me to open the pedal and move the wires around with a chopstick. That pretty much fixed the problem. I'm considering doing this with the Medusa, but I fear I might cause further damage. What do you guys think?

poke it with a chop stick? seriously??? :lol:

• Members

He told you that? Not "Send it back and let me fix my shoddy wiring", but "poke it with a chopstick until it works again?"

{censored} me.

Archived