1st distortion pedal for grunge/90s rock recommendation

hangwire

• Members

I have a 17 year old client who I see in psychotherapy that has shown some good progress managing some issues through using guitar as a coping tool. Today he came in and played Neil Young's Heart of Gold on his acoustic with the old harmonica necklace to boot and did very well.

He is progressing into liking the 90s Nirvana era bands and was asking about how to get that sound...

I did well stepping back from my gear brain and directed him to try to get to a Music Go Round and compare a Rat to a Big Muff to a DS-2 and see what he thinks... he has some Crate 1x12" solid state at home and I asked him to check to make sure there was not already a distortion channel it in too...

but this kids is 17, working in a grocery store, and I can relate to the overwhelming amount of gear out there when I was that age... it pedal wise it is way way way bigger

so are there cheap online easy order pedals from smaller companies I am unaware of that I should enlighten him to for this tone, or was the 3 above good enough for him to seek out in person

also DOD/Digitech Grunge pics will let uis all know you are lame and a waste of life :p

• Members

You might be able to get a Cool Cat for pretty cheap. I have the "Drive" and of course it's awesome. I've never tried the other "higher gain" ones like the "distortion" and "metal" pedals. They could be decent :idk:

Probably DS-1 is a good suggestions too. I've never really played one.

Archived