335 GAS thread.

Loobs

• Members

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The sorta jazz I like is the more angular, difficult sounding and challenging stuff. Metheny's whole approach and touch on the instrument are as smooth as it gets. I'm not saying that his stuff is simplistic and it is at times great, but it too offer errs on the bland and over-compressed for me. His stuff has a very distinctive MOR feel to it.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got to play one yesterday for the first time at Guitar Center. I played it through both channels of a cranked Mesa Subway Rocket. It sounded GREAT but it was a Guitar Center guitar so the strings needed clean. The smell about made me nauseated.

• Members
Very nice. I'd rather a Gibson than the Edwards though.

That's cool. Although, owning both, I can honestly say I'd sell the Gibson before I'd sell the Edwards. It just sounds great and I like the stock Seymour Duncan pickups in the Edwards better than the ones that came with the custom shop Gibson in that pic. :)

If you end up deciding to pull the trigger on a 335 and you happen to get the opportunity to do a side by side comparison between the Edwards and the Gibson, do it before you make your final decision. It may be worth the time to make the comparison. :thu:

• Members
That's cool. Although, owning both, I can honestly say I'd sell the Gibson before I'd sell the Edwards. It just sounds great and I like the stock Seymour Duncan pickups in the Edwards better than the ones that came with the custom shop Gibson in that pic.
:)

If you end up deciding to pull the trigger on a 335 and you happen to get the opportunity to do a side by side comparison between the Edwards and the Gibson, do it before you make your final decision. It may be worth the time to make the comparison.
:thu:

I'm not totally convinced that you haven't purchased a shipping container full of Edwards guitars as an investment...
:love:

• Members

Yes, I do like it. The interplay is really cool. I wouldn't listen to it to relax (which is one of the main reasons that I listen to music these days), but it's great music...

It's true that it's nothing like the rest of his work. Or most of it, anyway. There are a couple of tunes that the PMG did that are vaguely of that persuasion. Scrap Metal, which was a live piece, and Offramp, from the album of the same name. There are some improvised pieces on the PMG album 'Quartet', but they're somewhat more laid back than Song X.

And as for his tone, I am inclined to agree. I assume it's the Roland/Greco guitar that he uses to control his GR300 Roland synth, and for all of his live solid-body guitar duties. I get the feeling that with that one he deliberately has it sound different to his hollow guitars, as he always uses the bridge pickup. With the exception of his distorted tones, I've always preferred the sounds that he's got with his hollow guitars. And the pitch-bend that provides the chorus effect, to be honest I don't mind it, but I do prefer it on his hollow guitars, definitely.

• Members

Does Pat Metheny have chops galore? Yes.

Does Pat Merheny use his monster chops to write and play insanely over processed and smooth, schmaltz tracks? Yes.

'Processed and smooth' are terms that apply to smooth jazz no-nothings that write harmonically bland and uninteresting music and then play over it in an inept and uninspired way. Like Kenny G. Which Pat doesn't do.

But if The Way Up is a 'processed and smooth schmaltz track', we should all give up and go home.

• Members

I can't deal with those bridges for some reason, don't like them on the Dot either. They're great guitars in the right hands though, truly a classic.

I'll take this though

tumblr_krvmdvrU4w1qa03ft.jpg

That's a great example of Gibson pinching pennies. Why go through the trouble of wiring up controls through the F-hole when you can just drop a pre-built control assembly in there? I would much rather have a normal 70's 335 in that awesome walnut finish:

1276257305_99563895_2-1972-Gibson-ES-335

• Members
That's a great example of Gibson pinching pennies. Why go through the trouble of wiring up controls through the F-hole when you can just drop a pre-built control assembly in there? I would much rather have a normal 70's 335 in that awesome walnut finish:

This I could get on. I just can't stand those stop tail bridges I see on a lot of 335s.

• Members

Yes, this.

However, my favourite Gibson tailpiece is the trapeze.

g7es3001.f.jpg

:cool:

• Members
335s are awesome. I was gassing for one pretty hard last year. Peter pretty much has the perfect one.

I really dig the newer 335s in that antique tea burst finish with the smal block inlays. Mmmm.

423772.jpg

Yeah, this is super nice. Funny how the upcharge for blocks is several hundred dollars.

Archived