335 GAS thread.

Loobs

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, I've never liked the Epi stock. That might be because the Gibson is just that good. I've been reading more and more recently of Epiphones, Ibanez Artcores and the like competing with Gibson. I'm not sure if that's because Epi/Ibanez are getting particularly good or the Gibsons are getting particularly bad...

• Members

Justin, that's a really nice guitar. I'd be interested to see how it compared to a real (non-satin) Gibson 335. Shame it has that headstock too.

I played a handful of normal gloss 335's at my local shop and a few in NYC. Some were decent, but most sounded pretty dark and had muddy bass. The epi elite build quality is basically a small step below, it doesn't feel as solid and resonant compared to some of the gibsons. It does, however, play as good or better than the gibson's I tried. It sounds great, has a nice thick neck that is MUCH better than their sheraton line, and has a nice unplugged sound. For half the price of a Gibson Satin Dot, I think it's unbeatable.... but you have to find one used because they aren't made anymore.

• Members
To be honest, I can only really pity you...

That is, if you actually can't appreciate how superbly able the guy is on a guitar, how brilliant he is as a composer and musician, and how ridiculously innovative he is. He's done things that no other musician has done, and he steps over musical stylistic boundaries as if they aren't there, can happily contribute to most musical settings...

And he does have a knack for attracting similarly brilliant musicians, hence his collaboration with Lyle Mays...

:wave:

He also has a knack for writing some excellent, smooth elevator music.

• Members

I played a handful of normal gloss 335's at my local shop and a few in NYC. Some were decent, but most sounded pretty dark and had muddy bass. The epi elite build quality is basically a small step below, it doesn't feel as solid and resonant compared to some of the gibsons. It does, however, play as good or better than the gibson's I tried. It sounds great, has a nice thick neck that is MUCH better than their sheraton line, and has a nice unplugged sound. For half the price of a Gibson Satin Dot, I think it's unbeatable.... but you have to find one used because they aren't made anymore.

Well, they are inherently a dark, mellow sounding guitar. I dunno about muddy. Finding a second hand Epi Elite here wouldn't be easy.

• Members
Well, they are inherently a dark, mellow sounding guitar. I dunno about muddy. Finding a second hand Epi Elite here wouldn't be easy.

People confuse the more recent models with muddy. Gibson uses 300k pots in just about all their guitars these days and the pups are nothing like the original PAF's that made a name for these guitars.

Put a pair of original style PAF's (un-potted), and 500k pots to open this baby up! Cleans like a single coil, overdrives like well a humbucker. Great guitar for jazz, blues, rock, country, just about any style of music really. Loads of woody tones without the uncontrollable feedback. The perfect balance between hollowbody and solidbody. Possibly the perfect guitar?

(are you gassing yet? :p)

• Members
Price check on original PAF's... lol

True that! So I'd go clone... Duncan makes one that's identical to the originals, they'll even age them for you (forget the model). There's lots of others on that band wagon making them too. Great pups.

Over at the Gretsch forum I did a side by side comparison of PAF's vs Filtertrons with 500k pots and they sounded very close (clean) if not identical with the exception of the PAF's having just a tad more bass. The filters were just a tad more open sounding but I felt that if I could put a larger value pot in the PAF's would have been able to do the same. But it really was nothing of a difference. Ran through a cranked amp there was some major differences. The PAF's had a very smooth overdrive with breakup occurring a little earlier than the filters. The filters had a more brittle overdrive by comparison.

I wrote that because you hardly ever hear people compare Gibby HB's with the jangly cleans of Gretsch Filtertrons. People always talk about muddy and very mid oriented Gibby humbuckers. Gibson made so many different HB's and they've been using 300k pots for years. PAF's and 500k pots are a dream in a 335. ;)

• Members
It's killing me. My colleague brought his 335 into work yesterday and the GAS just went into overdrive.

330114.jpg

I got a couple of these when I was gassing for a 335. Unlike the 335's (which are nice...my buddy has one from the 70's that I compared these to), they have solid tops instead of laminated tops and get a little more vibration happening than the Gibson. Depending on how much feedback you like to use in your style, this can be a good or bad thing. I found I was able to get controlled feedback easier with the Edwards than I was the Gibson so it worked for me. :)

conv0016.jpg

conv0012.jpg

I love mine and of course the price is right. I got this used for about $400 less than what I paid for two brand new Edwards...

228.jpg

• Members

He also has a knack for writing some excellent, smooth elevator music.

I wouldn't agree. There isn't anything that he's written that isn't musically interesting. I define elevator music as being harmonically bland and uninspiredly played; if Metheny is elevator music, a lot of jazz is...

• Members

Yes, I've never liked the Epi stock. That might be because the Gibson is just that good. I've been reading more and more recently of Epiphones, Ibanez Artcores and the like competing with Gibson. I'm not sure if that's because Epi/Ibanez are getting particularly good or the Gibsons are getting particularly bad...

I love my Artcore, plays fantastically. Its certainly not the be all end all of 335 knock offs, but for the money I don't think it can be beat. Stock pickups aren't bad either, I've kept them in for the 4 years I've had my AS73.

• Members
I love my Artcore, plays fantastically. Its certainly not the be all end all of 335 knock offs, but for the money I don't think it can be beat. Stock pickups aren't bad either, I've kept them in for the 4 years I've had my AS73.

The Artcores look really great. My next guitar will probably be one. The full hollow AK100. Looks fantastic. :thu:

• Members
His stuff is rather dull/smooth/bland (delete as applicable) though, especially with the PMG.

I couldn't agree... The PMG goes as complex and ambitious as it goes 'mellow'. Pat's work with Lyle Mays is definitely the best of his work. About as 'smooth' as he's gone are his album with Charlie Haden and his first solo release, Secret Storey, neither of which are PMG.

Edit: phone spellchecking fail :facepalm:

Archived