Am I a lunatic for not liking my new FD2 mosfet?

Fendert

• Members

I just Picked one of these up a few weeks ago and I have heard so many good things about it, I dont think I have heard a bad thing about it, I know there is alot of tonal options, but it just sounds thin no matter what i do.

I'm using it with a les paul clasic 60's RI through an Ac15c1 with all JJs.

does anyone else think this? what would be good over drive to pair with my amp?

• Members

i should add that it will not sound right unless your amp is turned up pretty loud. the fd2 will not sound good quiet

yeah it does sound better loud, but I rarely get to play a gig where I can crank it. Unless I'm in the studio

• Members
I'm not that fond of them and never tried it, but I hear Vox + Rat is a killer combo.
:idk:

I'd also recommend the Timmy to anyone... I really liked mine w/ the AC15H1TV I had.

Yeah I heard the same about the rat, but honestly could never bring my self to buying one.

• Members

+1 on the crank it up comments and the AC15 comments. I use mine with a LP classic and only use it in comp cut mode as a cleanish boost and with a driven amp.

As an overdrive IMHO it sounds too loose or raw with a LP. I tend to use a KOT or Klon as the main od and the FD2 as a clean/lead boost. Apologies for getting cork sniffy with the od choices. BTW before my FD2 I had a TS 10 and that never worked with my AC15.

Disclosure the AC15 has gone and I'm using a WEM EL84 15w amp head and that has the same problem. I also have a single ended 6L6 amp and the FD2 sounds great with the attenuator at 0.25w.

Hotplate?

• Members
....but you bought a Fulldrive?
:facepalm::freak:

Good point :facepalm:

But the thing I really dont like about it is even when I'm pushing it. Without the FD2 my tone sounds nice creamy and full, but when engaged it makes my amp sound thiner. Its like it cuts those low mids?

anyone one use an xotic BB with a vox?

• Members
I'm not that fond of them and never tried it, but I hear Vox + Rat is a killer combo.
:idk:

I'd also recommend the Timmy to anyone... I really liked mine w/ the AC15H1TV I had.

I agree with Nick on this one. My Laney which is in Vox vain sounds like {censored} with a Fulldrive. The Timmy is perfect with it.

Archived