New Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard

raffor

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Regarding the static RAM (flash memory) used it is indeed 64M but 8 bits (what ever that means, to store 16 bits it's only 32MB?).

1 byte always equals 8 bits, no matter how many bits the data you're storing in it is. So it can only store half as many 16 bit words as it could 8 bit words, but it's still 64MB.

Hope that made sense.

• Members

Heh, too bad. Being in USA right now pretty much sucks, man. Those prices are higher than here. Well, I guess it's normal for an European product to price that way outside Europe.

Yeah? Well, what about 99% of the rest of the gear? What do you think of those prices?.....living in USA never sucked because of gear prices.

• Members

Considering that the Desktop sells for $899 now:

It is always the same, when there is a bigger software update the prices for hardware are going up. Waldorf will introduce the sample memory soon and thus the value of the Blofeld goes up, me thinks. Access is good in this too.

• Members

Heh, too bad. Being in USA right now pretty much sucks, man. Those prices are higher than here. Well, I guess it's normal for an European product to price that way outside Europe.

BTW, it is mostly Access and Waldorf stuff that is more pricey in the US than over in Europe. I can get stuff from Novation, Roland, Korg, etc. for less of an amount in $$$ than you can get it over there in Euros.

• Members

Actually European products used to be cheaper in the US than in Europe. (This doesn't account just for music equipment but also for cars etc.)

Some people used to import European equipment from the US that was still cheaper, even when taking into account shipping, VAT and customs. Maybe now, with the weaker dollar European companies can no longer export to the US with small margins and therefore they have increased their prices.

Unfortunately we are used here in Europe to pay 1 Euro for 1 US dollar (when the real value is close to 2/3s of that) for US products. The weaker dollar has not always ment that the prices for equipment coming from the US have been lowered.

• Members

The US is probably the best place to be living for synth purchases... Try living in New Zealand :mad:

• Members

In 1999, I wanted a Nord Lead 2. I settled for a blowout price on a Korg Z1 instead. The Z1 is long gone.:facepalm:

In 2003, I wanted a Nord Lead 2X. I settled for an Alesis ION instead. I sold the ION over a year ago.:facepalm:

Now I want a Nord Wave. The "old me" would be inclined to settle for a Blofeld Keyboard. It's cheaper and it can use samples as oscillators.

:idea:
This is the "new me" though. After 10 years, I have finally figured out that I'd rather have a good user interface (i.e. one knob per function) than a long list of features that can only be accessed through menu diving.

I'm not going to settle this time. I'm getting a Nord Wave no matter how long it takes me to save up the $$$. I don't know why I felt the need to post this revelation. I'll stop :blah: now.

• Members
In 1999, I wanted a
Nord Lead 2
. I settled for a blowout price on a Korg Z1 instead. The Z1 is long gone.
:facepalm:

In 2003, I wanted a
Nord Lead 2X
. I settled for an Alesis ION instead. I sold the ION over a year ago.

Now I want a
Nord Wave
. The "old me" would be inclined to settle for a Blofeld Keyboard. It's cheaper and it can use samples as oscillators.

This is the "new me" though. After 10 years, I have finally figured out that I'd rather have a good user interface (i.e. one knob per function) than a long list of features that can only be accessed through menu diving.

I'm not going to settle this time. I'm getting a
Nord Wave
no matter how long it takes me to save up the $$$. I don't know why I felt the need to post this revelation. I'll stop
:blah:
now.

Nice thing about that is by the time you save up for a Nord Wave, Blofeld Desktops will be cheap used (not that they aren't already) and you can compare them side by side if you want.. :)

• Members
In 1999, I wanted a
Nord Lead 2
. I settled for a blowout price on a Korg Z1 instead. The Z1 is long gone.

In 2003, I wanted a
Nord Lead 2X
. I settled for an Alesis ION instead. I sold the ION over a year ago.

Now I want a
Nord Wave
. The "old me" would be inclined to settle for a Blofeld Keyboard. It's cheaper and it can use samples as oscillators.

I'm not going to settle this time. I'm getting a
Nord Wave
no matter how long it takes me to save up the $$$. I don't know why I felt the need to post this revelation. I'll stop
:blah:
now.

You never learn???

Go get a Nord Lead 2(X) now.

Resistance is futile!

• Members

i'm totally not up on waldorf products, but i have to admit that after listening to a few demos of this evil little boy, the wavetable stuff sounds like teh {censored}!

Can someone tell me how the spec of the blofeld compares to the microwave xt, apart from lack of knobbage? and not being a ghastly shade of orange?

Archived