New Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard

raffor

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Relieved I am. Must seek further balance in the Force I must.

I may as well add this here, too:

I wonder how much of the Blofeld code would need to be changed to accomodate not only the sampling features, pitch & mod wheels, keybed, MIDI out, but a new set of knobs as well? And how much time it would take to accomplish the latter in addition to the things that MUST be done to meet the spec-list/goals of the product?

I mean, while they're adding the code and an additional PCB to the design, couldn't they just add a few extra knobs and code them in with the rest of the new code at the same time? It's not like they'd have to change the main-board design - assuming they're using the same core set of Blofeld PCBs (and code, for that matter) to build the keyboard version around.

• Members

PIGHOOD! Get over here, NOW!

Are you blind? All of the FM goodies are in there! Every stinking, oozing one of them. I just read through the relevant sections of the manual.

This is NOT acceptable young man. No Q for you for the rest of the day.

Anyway, looks like the only things MIA are the sub-oscillators.

That's good! So, Plan A is still in effect over here. I don't mind the minimal UI, myself, between it and the manual the whole thing seems well-designed enough. Although, for performance, a few more assignable knobs would be nice.

• Members
PIGHOOD! Get over here, NOW!

Are you blind?

Forgiven. Might happen to me too if I forget to take my glasses off at shorter distances.

Although, for performance, a few more assignable knobs would be nice

True. I still wonder why these can rarely be found in synths. Since years we're stuck for playing to 2 wheels and aftertouch.
Every future Waldorf (keyboard) synth should have at least 2 assignable knobs and a third wheel ;)

• Members

I think 4 octaves and the wheels above the keys is giving us a nice little keyboard to take to jams.

I was hoping that they will use a size like this.

And the knobs and buttons look like they will use a more or less unaltered Blofeld board inside.

So the NAMM and the Frankfurt Musik Messe will show us the real thing most likely.

• Members
So the NAMM and the Frankfurt Musik Messe will show us the real thing most likely.

LOL. NAMM is at the end of January 2009 and Frankfurt Musik Messe is in April of 2009. For those of you on the other side of the pond, don't bother calling Dolphin Music for availability :lol:. Maybe we'll see the Stromberg at Winter NAMM 2016? :facepalm:

• Members
I wonder how much of the Blofeld code would need to be changed to accomodate not only the sampling features

Methinks that in terms of complexity straight sample playback should be less rocket science than that - especially since for the wavetables they had to figure out the aliasing/transposing algorithms anyway, which is most likely the hardest work. Playing and looping they can already do.

pitch & mod wheels

Not a problem, since if the Blofeld rack reacts to those there's little difference between the messages - internal or external. I think my fingers would be happier with a chunky rubber modwheel than with a thin steel one, though.

The layout is the same for the same reason as on the Virus and Nords - you save work in the design and machining time. That this results in not using a lot of real estate is a sad fact :(.

• Members
LOL. NAMM is at the end of January 2009 and Frankfurt Musik Messe is in April of 2009. For those of you on the other side of the pond, don't bother calling Dolphin Music for availability
:lol:
. Maybe we'll see the Stromberg at Winter NAMM 2016?
:facepalm:

I bet I will have a Blofeld keyboard before you see them in a shop on your side of the Atlantic :cool:

• Members
I bet I will have a Blofeld keyboard before you see them in a shop on your side of the Atlantic
:cool:

Perhaps more of a thought towards another thread, but this is a perfect example.

And that's what makes KSS worthwhile. Sure, there's a low signal to noise ratio but when you can count on someone like Qwave whose views you already know to bring an early in-depth review of a new product... You can't buy that kind of connectedness. I may not be one of the inner-circle cool keyboard guys who can spew at length about the value of a third envelope, but at least I get to hear right from a bunch of you who can.

• Members
Methinks that in terms of complexity straight sample playback should be less rocket science than that - especially since for the wavetables they had to figure out the aliasing/transposing algorithms anyway, which is most likely the hardest work. Playing and looping they can already do.

Not a problem, since if the Blofeld rack reacts to those there's little difference between the messages - internal or external. I think my fingers would be happier with a chunky rubber modwheel than with a thin steel one, though.

The layout is the same for the same reason as on the Virus and Nords - you save work in the design and machining time. That this results in not using a lot of real estate is a sad fact
:(

Yeah, all of this I assume in the post you quote.

Hence the reason I ask the questions.

Personally, I'm okay with the idea of saving development costs if it brings us a keyboard'ed Blofeld sooner and for a reasonable price. I think it having AT sort of, kind of makes up for the lack additional knobs (that and the mod-wheel). It's a small matter for performance - certainly no where near a deal-breaker for me.

As for editing, that's what USB and computers are for these days I guess. I can live with that.

• Members

I was just about to email Waldorf and ask them to make a Blofeld with a 49 keys keyboard to reduce the clutter in front of my iMac. They must have read my mind. This is better than I could hope for, I just hope the 60 MB memory is resistant. There no audio in?

Judging by the time it took to get the Blofeld to market, I guess by this time next year it will be available....

NOt just your mind I think everybody was thinking on this one

• Members

Now
, this may be my first Waldorf product.

I hope they shave that metal off the ends and just leave the wood. That extra metal could cause some damage.

That metal is for the people that usually get drunk in bars and want to be very close to the keyboard players, to stay away and not bother.

Archived