New Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard

raffor

• Members

get your credit card ready. This one looks nice...

blofeld(1).jpg

Features:

60 Megabyte sample memory

Class compliant USB MIDI for PC,Mac and Linux

16 part multimode

maximum 25 voices polyphony

highest quality standard keybed with 49 weighted keys and aftertouch

Internal power supply

Pitchbend and modulation wheel

Virtual analog, wavetable, and sample based oscillators

MIDI in/out

Sturdy metal case

Stainless steel rotary encoders

Backlit 128x64 pixel LCD

Over 1000 sounds

3 oscillators, 2 filters per voice

Selectable drive curves

Frequency modulation for oscillators and filters

Three LFO, four envelopes per voice

Extensive modulation capabilities

Complex arpeggiator

Powerful effects section

weight: apprx 8,-- kgs

weight in carton: apprx 9,5 kgs

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really (as in really really) didn't like the sound of the Blofeld when I had mine, otherwise this would be appealing. It did need knobs above the keys.

It is kinda sad they didn't add more knobs though. There's lots of menu bouncing around in that sucker and keeping your eyes on the LCD while jumping between things is an annoyance.

• Members

I was just about to email Waldorf and ask them to make a Blofeld with a 49 keys keyboard to reduce the clutter in front of my iMac. They must have read my mind. This is better than I could hope for, I just hope the 60 MB memory is resistant. There no audio in?

Judging by the time it took to get the Blofeld to market, I guess by this time next year it will be available....

• Members

Just checking Waldorfs website, it seems they have released a new firmware yesterday:

Blofeld Firmware V1.04

05/09/2008:

This version adresses reported issues of the Blofeld.

Improvements:

S&H and Random LFO shapes decorrelated.

Sustain works as Modulation Source.

Tempo always edited from Part 1.

Multi Sound buffers accessible by SysEx request.

Effects shown properly after Init and SysEx reception.

Occasionally silent Delay and Reverb fixed.

Snow problem eliminated.

Known issues:

Booting the Blofeld might result in a freeze when USB is connected and a sequencer application (i.e. Logic 7 or newer) is open. Logic, for example, sends certain MIDI messages to a new MIDI Port as soon as it appears.

• Members

wait, so the first Blofeld/rack (the one that I drove 90 minutes out to buy, try, and return the same afternoon because although it was cool, wasn't quite a keeper for me) didn't have the sampled waveforms thing, correct?

I'm also disappointed the tabletop doesn't have the sample memory. Guess this will have to added to my GAS list. I'm also surprised it sports weighted keys, which is odd for a 49-key instrument.

• Members

Sorry ... not enough controls to get excited over ... not really crazy about the look, either ... and though I'l admit my experience with Waldorf synths is limited to a short session with a Wave, I wasn't really captivated by its very digital sound ...

Any really good Blofeld demos out there?

but the price ... $850 U.S. ... Is that about right?

Guest Anonymous

I could see selling my tableop version for this but, Waldorf needs to include the abilty to save multis via the keyboard and not just a software editor.

:mad:

• Members

Funny, everybody wants more knobs bot nobody can say exactly which knobs and how to arrange them when it's clear that only a matrix UI is possible at all in a synth with that many parameters like a Blofeld.

If there were a Blofeld with dedicated knob for each paramter, means with around 250 knobs, everyone who sincerely worked with the synth would soon prefer the matrix version because it's much more concise and faster.

The only serious alternative to the matrix UI is a software editor because then you have knobs and display for each parameter. Or a Blofeld with 250 encoders and 250 displays for the knob values.

• Members

Funny, everybody wants more knobs bot nobody can say exactly which knobs and how to arrange them when it's clear that only a matrix UI is possible at all in a synth with that many parameters like a Blofeld.

Probably has more to do with meeting a price point ...

If nobody can think of worthy functions at the moment, just make them assignable ... We'll worry about it later ...

If I'm buying a hardware synth I want a real control surface ... I'm done with Micron / R3 / Blofeld-type synth interfaces ...

• Members

If there were a Blofeld with dedicated knob for each paramter, means with around 250 knobs, everyone who sincerely worked with the synth would soon prefer the matrix version because it's much more concise and faster.

The only serious alternative to the matrix UI is a software editor because then you have knobs and display for each parameter. Or a Blofeld with 250 encoders and 250 displays for the knob values.

This hasn't been an issue on my rather knobby Virus or Nord Wave. 50-ish knobs is a good number. Then you're not menu diving like a manic all the time. The Blofeld interface reminds me of what I didn't like about the Virus rack's interface. Cool board, just needs better controls.

• Members

If I'm buying a hardware synth I want a real control surface

A concise control surface with dedicated knobs for each parameter is imho only possible for subtractive synths with a quite simple structure. A digital synth that allows knobs for each parameter is outdated. It doen't have enough parameters then ;)

• Members

This hasn't been an issue on my rather knobby Virus or Nord Wave. 50-ish knobs is a good number.

Matter of taste most likely. I've always been faster with the microQ or Blofeld than with Virus A,B,C that I had. Somehow the parameters that I needed most were always in the menues ;)

Archived