This album is perfect.

AnderMocs

• Members

I never heard that one, but here's what one of the producers said about the recording (which was done at the Record Plant studio in front of a small audience):

I remember that the opening act was a stripper. Her name was Dewana and her husband was a taxi driver. So for her the band played bump-and-grind music - and there's no jazz player who has never played a strip joint, so they knew exactly what to do. But it put the room in exactly the right mood. Then Waits came out and sang 'Emotional Weather Report'. Then he turned around to face the band and read the classified section of the paper while they played. It was like Allen Ginsberg with a really, really good band.

• Members

Yeah it's a great approach to an album, creates such an atmosphere and shows such personality. I love eggs and sausage - and just the way such intelligent undertones are layered in with such a simple scene.

Although I am of the firm belief Waits just got better and better, so I get more obsessed with his later stuff, but this is still a one off gem of an album.

• Members

I think the Swordfishtrombones/Rain Dogs/Frank's Wild Years trilogy is absolutely brilliant... That said, I think everything he puts out that I've heard has been genius stuff... I mention those 3 cd's because they got me into him, so I owe them a lot.

• Members

Tom Waits is one of those few guys that you can call a "genius and father of modern songwriting" and not be an exaggerating, pretentious asshole. He's done {censored} and gone places with his music that most other brilliant songwriters can't even imagine or touch.

Also,the first half of Rain Dogs is one of the great achievements of popular music. I'm still trying to figure out the second half, and I've been listening to this album more or less constantly for 3 years.

Archived