Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster vs. Classic Players: opinions, specs, what is the diff?

hangwire

• Members

between the classic players and blacktop, what are the opinions of people who have used both?

spec wise they are pretty similar with wood and scale, right?

I am intrigued by the blacktop due to lower price and simpler "no extra tone controls on the upper bout", but I would want the one in black and would require these updates/changes:

- new pickguard [tort- I have a jazzmaster one, but I don't know if it will fit???]

- new bridge pickup [gfs surf 90?]

- the vibrato doesn't have the "lock"? can someone confirm? I LOVE the lock on jazzmasters, I would get a ebay lock one and replace if so.

- pickup cobver for neck to white instead of black.

so I guess with that in mind... $150ish of upgrades + $440 = lets call it $600. still $200 cheaper than the classic players

thoughts for discussion on this topic???

• Members

The CP jm pups are bar-magnet and hotter/higher output (though some people like it that way).

A lot of people are digging the BT neck pup, it's somewhat more traditional.

The CP has a TOM bridge, kinda like the mascis JM.

Blacktop has what some are calling a jm/mustang hybrid (JM w/slotted saddles) which is pretty unique.

Both suffer from the JM "rattle", nothing some heavy strings and/or some loctite can't solve.

Both are MIM.

Electronics are a cheap/easy fix on either if they aren't up to par.

Really though, just try them out and see how they feel.

That's the important part.

• Members

I dont know what it is, but every Blacktop Jazzmaster and Tele I've played have had the action set way high on them. Like clearly an issue here high.

I played oen at Cream City Music here in Milwaukee and they must set them up before putting them out, because teh balcktop was suprsingly low and fast... almost too low ... like I was playing some 80s Kramer junk...

:idk: I guess shop to shop difference? You would think they woudl want to make a guitar set up in best condition for sale???

• Members

I spent some time with both the other day.

The best sound on either is the neck pickup on the BT. That thing is really special.

The worst sound on either is the HB on the BT. Too hot and mid-rangey.

Didn't care for the middle sound either.

I really think the bodies and necks are the same.

The BT did have slightly high action, but I'm sure that could be dialed out.

I found I like the rhythm circuit more than I imagined.

I wouldn't mind either one, but a used black CP would be hard to turn down.

Archived