Are You Happy?

Ryan.

• Members

I own my home, have a good career, am playing better guitar than I ever have in my life, have recently acquired 6-pack abs along with a muscular physique I've never had even in my youth, and my sex life couldn't be better.

I could only be happier if I were twins!

(watch the hate flow through the haters now)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I own my home, have a good career, am playing better guitar than I ever have in my life, have recently acquired 6-pack abs along with a muscular physique I've
never
had even in my youth, and my sex life couldn't be better.

I could only be happier if I were twins!

(watch the hate flow through the haters now)

:thu:

• Members

this whole idea of "happiness" is absurd, if anyone stopped and thought about the human condition around the world....happiness is impossible. Only the blissfully ignorant are "happy".

If you think about the human condition around the world, where people living in very difficult circumstances find happiness with almost no material possessions, then the idea that you are not happy in your privileged position in the world is absurd.

• Members

If you think about the human condition around the world, where people living in very difficult circumstances find happiness with almost no material possessions, then the idea that you are not happy in your privileged position in the world is absurd.

ha...privilege is relative....but point taken.

• Members

even when i was kid watching twins i thought those suits were tacky. i remember watching the whole 'embracing the situation montage' where they pick out matching suits and commented to my mom that i had some serious reservations about their selection and she just said, 'shut up.'

sounds like my mom. i was always like "what if..." and my mom was all, "what if?".

• Members

I have a friend who's a psychologist (odd thing given that she's known me since high school and all of the stupid sh*t she's witnessed over the years as a friend... Ha...) and she has always accused me of exclusively finding happiness in things - art, music, books - at the expense of finding it with people. Odd thing.

She's pretty much correct (and reminds of it whenever we talk) -

So, I guess I'm 50% happy. People always let me down. Art doesn't - I've always been able to see beauty (and the residual happiness) in it.

(and she thinks that this is all - interesting - I bet that there a lot of people who feel like I do here...).

Yeah.

• Members

No one is happy.

Anyone who says they are 100% happy is either lying or taking WAY better drugs than I am. The trick is to be content and balanced. Im there right now. Im poor, work a {censored}ty job, drive a {censored}ty car and have a disease which will eventually kill me. On the Other hand, I have a beautiful loving wife, more gear than I know what to do with and for the first time ever I have my entire family back in my life. So the good balances the bad and vice versa. Im not happy, probably never will be, but Im content and thats good enough.

Archived