Potential new guitar

lolque?

Here's my concerns... are those pics of yours the actual guitar?

Mustangs (see the fiesta red example above) have top loading vibrato tailpieces. Music Masters (shell pink) and Duo Sonics (seafoam green) have top loading hard tails. NONE of these models have "through the body" string setups. The pics you posted appear to have that - and they're crooked too... which would seem to indicate it was modded for a later Squier tailpiece, and probably a DIY job - it should have been done with a drill press... anyway, my concern would be accurate bridge placement. If it IS actually a real Duo Sonic body and it now has a Mustang bridge on it, that would require routing of the body... and that is definitely not something I'd trust the guy to do accurately if the "through the body" string holes are any indication of the quality of his workmanship.

If it has a standard Duo Sonic type bridge, with the anchor points at the back of the bridge, even if it's been messed up in terms of mounting, you can always re-set it and you'll be fine. If you decide to refinish the body, you can fill those back holes and be fine... if it has a badly done Mustang bridge on it, then it would take a lot more work to "be fine" with it...

• Members

Here's my concerns... are those pics of yours the actual guitar?

Mustangs (see the fiesta red example above) have top loading vibrato tailpieces. Music Masters (shell pink) and Duo Sonics (seafoam green) have top loading hard tails. NONE of these models have "through the body" string setups. The pics you posted appear to have that - and they're crooked too... which would seem to indicate it was modded for a later Squier tailpiece, and probably a DIY job - it should have been done with a drill press... anyway, my concern would be accurate bridge placement. If it IS actually a real Duo Sonic body and it now has a Mustang bridge on it, that would require routing of the body... and that is definitely not something I'd trust the guy to do accurately if the "through the body" string holes are any indication of the quality of his workmanship.

If it has a standard Duo Sonic type bridge, with the anchor points at the back of the bridge, even if it's been messed up in terms of mounting, you can always re-set it and you'll be fine. If you decide to refinish the body, you can fill those back holes and be fine... if it has a badly done Mustang bridge on it, then it would take a lot more work to "be fine" with it...

That's what I needed:thu:. I noticed the string through, but just wrote it off. Like I said, going to go see it on Saturday. Here's hoping it isn't a piece of {censored}.

If you can get better pics of it as it actually is now; especially the bridge - I can give you a more detailed opinion. If the neck is straight and it's a 70s era original with decent fret life left, it alone is probably worth a couple hundred. The body's value has dropped considerably due to the mods. You can usually get a stripped Mustang or Duo Sonic body off ebay for a couple hundred bucks. Assuming the rest of the parts are in good shape, and it's a actual Mustang or Duo Sonic bridge (and not a RI Mustang bridge), it's probably worth $300 or so. A vintage DS bridge will usually cost $50-100 on ebay.

Archived