Official Vox AC Thread!

• Members

I've have heard good things about the ac15/rat combo. Also the germanium I've heard good things about. I wonder how good the ehx germanium muff pi would sound

Yeah I've a Rat is good too. I'll try one eventually. One of those few everyone has tried one kinda pedal that I haven't owned for some reason.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So noone gigs with an AC15 to know how well it can keep up with a drummer? In my google searches the consensus was that its loud enough at small medium gigs if you don't need perfect cleans, which sounds like it fits the bill for me, but for all I know everyone saying this plays blues-hammer crap at small barbeque joints with a drummer using brushes and a bassist using a combo amp.

Small to midsized gigs, with the volume and tonal limitations pretty similar to what you described. It's not going to hang if your other guitarist is using an JCM 800 and your bass player has a 600W amp and your drummer hits really hard, but it will keep up with an average unmiked drummer; but it will be on the edge of its limits in terms of cleans while doing so.

I don't gig often, but when I do, my setup is an AC15cc1 (with a Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo) and a Princeton Reverb II (20W with a E/V 12F) running in stereo.

• Members

Small to midsized gigs, with the volume and tonal limitations pretty similar to what you described. It's not going to hang if your other guitarist is using an JCM 800 and your bass player has a 600W amp and your drummer hits really hard, but it will keep up with an average unmiked drummer; but it will be on the edge of its limits in terms of cleans while doing so.

I don't gig often, but when I do, my setup is an AC15cc1 (with a Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo) and a Princeton Reverb II (20W with a E/V 12F) running in stereo.

Phil, the most interesting mod in the world:

On a related note, I GAS for an AC15 every time I play one. I will get one soon.

• Members

You are making a huge mistake.

We'll see. I know you're not a fan of the Vox. I like the one I have now a lot. Have you heard these new HW Vox's? I've heard they're a big step up from the previous ones, dunno if this is true or not. I'll eventually try and find some dealers for all of these. I'm in no rush though.

• Members

We'll see. I know you're not a fan of the Vox. I like the one I have now a lot. Have you heard these new HW Vox's? I've heard they're a big step up from the previous ones, dunno if this is true or not. I'll eventually try and find some dealers for all of these. I'm in no rush though.

Yeah I've tried the Handwired ones... No thanks. Ice pick city.

• Members

hehe, I just bought a Handwired ac15 with an alnico blue, DAMN sexy amp, I initially went to the store to buy the ac15C1 but the Handwired was just 200dlls more, I just couldnt resist

I love this amp, I'm still playing with the chanel jumping

• Members

The Alnico Blue speaker takes a while to break in, no? I don't find mine ice picky at all, but it has the greenback in it. There's also a tone cut control, seems to work pretty well.

• Members

Speaking of ice picky, this clips on the Maz 18 site, don't do much for me, especially that second one with the EQ mod bypass. Yuck. Sounds like the speaker is almost blown or something. Is this what this amp sounds like? http://drzamps.com/amp/maz18jr/ The first clip was the better of the two. Probably the recording, but the demo that PGS has of the HW AC15 is much more pleasing to my ears. Different ears, different strokes.

Anyone have anything to say on Celestion blues vs. Weber Blue Dogs vs. WGS Black&Blues? They'll be going in my AC30C2

I've never heard the Black & Blues. The Celestions are nice, but expensive. I went with the Blue Dog, and have never regretted that decision in the least. A bit less money than the Celestion, and a great sounding speaker. :phil:

• Members

I had an AC15CC1 for a while, first with the stock speaker, then with a ceramic Weber Blue Dog I bought used and I also put a couple JJ EL84s in. Sounded fine stock, the tubes were an obvious improvement for crunchier tones and the speaker was a very big improvement.

To be honest, I never really found a pedal that gave it a truly believable Marshall tone. I tried an OCD, a Direct Drive, a newer GuvNor and a few others that are less distinctly Marshally. They all gave decent enough gain, but none sounded as Marshally as the same pedal through a DRRI. I've read a couple folks that run a Radial Tonebone and a couple others that use a Jekyll and Hyde.

I really liked the amp but I ended up getting a good deal on an AC15H1TV which I LURVES! Still haven't dialed in a great Marshall tone though all three pedals seem to sound just a touch more believable through the H1TV than through the CC1.

Think my next purchase will be a Dr Z Brake Lite for the H1TV. I absolutely love the amp, but it's sweet spot is just a tad too loud for me most of the time.

Some of my Vox pics I have handy:

DSC_6213a1.jpg

DSC_3694a1.jpg

DSC_3637a1auto.jpg

• Members

Nice! Those are some lovely strats by the way. I love my Tele with my AC15 more than my strat, but both are pretty good with this amp. My LP provides a lot more crunch than either, but the Tele does it for me the most.

• Members

Anyone have anything to say on Celestion blues vs. Weber Blue Dogs vs. WGS Black&Blues? They'll be going in my AC30C2

Never heard of the Black&Blues, but have had two Celestion Blues then a Blue Dog and Silver Bell in my amp. The Celestion Blue is the classic sound - clear and glassy at low volume, compressed and chimey then all out creamy with awesome midrange grind. It's characteristics compliment the AC30 at all volume levels which is why it's such a classic combo.

The downside for me was that everything sounded like a Celestion Blue, and I wanted my amp to be a bit more versatile. Also, the upper midrange spike of a Celestion blue is kinda hard on the ears - great for cutting through, but in my band I'm the only guitarist so I prefer a slightly smoother sound. The Blue Dog/ Silver Bell combo (both 30 watt alnico's) sorted that for me - slightly more bottom end and less spikey mids, slightly smoother treble too. They're also lower sensitivity than the Celestions - similar to a greenback, which is good for cranking the amp without killing you, the soundman, or the audience.

• Members

AC15 owner here. Removed the bright cap and installed a Celestion greenback. I'd love to own an AC from the handwired series, they sound and look amazing. I tried out an AC4 recently and the four watt mode wasn't bad at all, nice cleans... I'm sure the cab/head sounds much better then that small speaker.

• Members
Never heard of the Black&Blues, but have had two Celestion Blues then a Blue Dog and Silver Bell in my amp. The Celestion Blue is the classic sound - clear and glassy at low volume, compressed and chimey then all out creamy with awesome midrange grind. It's characteristics compliment the AC30 at all volume levels which is why it's such a classic combo.

The downside for me was that everything sounded like a Celestion Blue, and I wanted my amp to be a bit more versatile. Also, the upper midrange spike of a Celestion blue is kinda hard on the ears - great for cutting through, but in my band I'm the only guitarist so I prefer a slightly smoother sound. The Blue Dog/ Silver Bell combo (both 30 watt alnico's) sorted that for me - slightly more bottom end and less spikey mids, slightly smoother treble too. They're also lower sensitivity than the Celestions - similar to a greenback, which is good for cranking the amp without killing you, the soundman, or the audience.

Hmmm... maybe I should just get one blue and keep one Greenback :idk:

• Members

So you cats who have done the bright cap mod . . .

Mod 1 - Bright cap mod:

This mod will allow you to use a much larger spectrum of pedals in front of your amp.

coletrain008.jpg

1. Remove C67 - 10pf ground (Reads 100)

It is located near the Top Boost volume knob. It is used to kill high end harshness. It is there to counteract the harshness which is brought on by the 120p cap, but is no longer needed when removing the 120p. This 10p capacitor was not part of the original AC15/30 schematic either.

2. Remove C8 - 120p high pass (Bright cap - Reads 121)

It is right next to C67. It is the capacitor that adds tons of sparkle when the top boost volume is low, and the master is high. It is a nice touch, but also kills any chance of most pedals sounding good in front of the top boost.

coletrain011.jpg

Is this really all there is to it? Clipping out two capacitors?

• Members

So noone gigs with an AC15 to know how well it can keep up with a drummer? In my google searches the consensus was that its loud enough at small medium gigs if you don't need perfect cleans, which sounds like it fits the bill for me, but for all I know everyone saying this plays blues-hammer crap at small barbeque joints with a drummer using brushes and a bassist using a combo amp.

You'll be fine with a drummer. I use mine with a 4 piece rock band and it holds it's own.

Archived