Death by Audio Pedals - anyone use them?

Johansolo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

whoa 'sup w/ all the APTBS hate. i'm not that big of a fan by any stretch of the imagination but its not that bad either. its just not my thing.

i think APTBS, Excepter & Psychic Ills are probably the only worthwhile NYC bands pushing any real boundaries. this is really sad time for NYC right now music-wise.

• Members
whoa 'sup w/ all the APTBS hate. i'm not that big of a fan by any stretch of the imagination but its not that bad either. its just not my thing.

i think APTBS, Excepter & Psychic Ills are probably the only worthwhile NYC bands pushing any real boundaries. this is really sad time for NYC right now music-wise.

I like "White Hills." :idk:

• Members

fair or not is irrelevant. im talking about their music.

I {censored}ing love APTBS, amazing live act, seen them three times, seem like really nice guys too whenever I have briefly chatted to them. Also would really like to try some DBA pedals, seem like great tools for making noise and making it sound good still ain't easy. Just ask the guy who edits all your stuff together :poke:

• Members

lazy pedals for people who cant make their own noise. not a fan of dba

theres your can of worms

please stop confusing boring-ass rock n roll w/ noise. its not cool. if it involves some guitar-weilding dudes w/ beards & boutique pedals. its NOT noise. if its a dude w/ like a tabletop full of DOD pedals & a walkman as a SoundSource. its noise...

• Members
please stop confusing boring-ass rock n roll w/ noise. its not cool. if it involves some guitar-weilding dudes w/ beards & boutique pedals. its NOT noise. if its a dude w/ like a tabletop full of DOD pedals & a walkman as a SoundSource. its noise...

wat.jpg

• Members

I did not know this. I saw them open for Dinosaur Jr awhile back. They had a pretty good sound.

DEATH BY AUDIO

This post is for all you gear junkies out there. Over the last year we've done a bit of touring with the most wonderful A Place To Bury Strangers. If you've ever heard them live you should know that they are one of the loudest most insanely distorted bands around. What you might not know is that their singer and guitarist, Oliver, also creates their effects pedals. He has a company called Death By Audio and I highly recommend you check them out. They make pedals for everyone from U2 to Serena Maneesh, and now us. When we were in Brooklyn for Halloween we dropped by his shop/home/studio and checked out what all they had going on. I can definitely vouch for the guys and say they really put a lot of intelligence and love into these pedals. Hardy, Walker, and I have all jumped on the DBA bandwagon and have gladly tossed many of our old pedals for some of Oliver's creations. Currently we use 2 Interstellar Overdriver Deluxes, 1 Interstellar Overdriver, 2 Fuzz Wars, and 1 Harmonic Transmission pedal, between the three of us. The only reason I'm posting this is because I really do believe in those guys and their work (and of course their music!). Check em out.

http://www.wreckingblahg.com/2009/11/death-by-audio.html

• Members

i actually think their pedals "look" pretty great. pretty much Death By Audio, Fairfield Circuitry & Seppuku Fx/Diamond Skeleton are the only pedals makers that, basesd solely on design-wise, float my boat.

sadly. i NEVER make pedal purchases based on "artwork." its not even a negligibly remote factor.

Definitely, the aesthetics of DBA and Seppuku pedals are great. I like the way Malekko pedals look too. DBA obviously put a lot of thought into the appearance of their pedals and the demos sound good but they do seem somewhat overpriced.

As for APTBS, they're great live and their second record was a real improvement on their debut but they're definitely very derivative. I would've thought Joy Division were a big influence, they're a lot more propulsive (and less medodic) than JAMC.

I'd like a Soundwave Breakdown but I can't help but think that most of the sounds its capable of could be produced by a Fuzz Factory or something.

• Members

Definitely, the aesthetics of DBA and Seppuku pedals are great. I like the way Malekko pedals look too. DBA obviously put a lot of thought into the appearance of their pedals and the demos sound good but they do seem somewhat overpriced.

As for APTBS, they're great live and their second record was a real improvement on their debut but they're definitely very derivative. I would've thought Joy Division were a big influence, they're a lot more propulsive (and less medodic) than JAMC.

I'd like a Soundwave Breakdown but I can't help but think that most of the sounds its capable of could be produced by a Fuzz Factory or something.

you are a smart one. which is rare...

• Members

i remember people citing the Cure a lot when the APTBS hype machine was in full jizz mode. they constructed their own particular idiom. i actually think that's why people were into the album. if it were just a str8-up copycat album, w/ the way people's attention spans are now, i doubt it would have gained as much traction as it did.

a rock band w/ ideas. that is increasingly becoming very rare. whether you are clever enough to mine or refashion past modes or skilled enough to balance self-referential aesthetics w/o being excessively derivative. its a tough road to hoe. especially now.

• Members

From my understanding the first APTBS album wasn't intended to be an album. Oliver made it with a drum machine and four track for a demo, then it got put out...

Didn't know that, it's not awful by any means but the second one is much better in almost every way. Certainly sounds great anyway, I definitely like the tonez or whatever.

• Members

From my understanding the first APTBS album wasn't intended to be an album. Oliver made it with a drum machine and four track for a demo, then it got put out...

That would make sense. The first one sounds more like a blueprint for a sound I guess, it's got a few good songs, but blends together a lot more than the second one.

Archived