Using an EQ pedal as a boost...

JMR

• Members

Tell me about it!

One of the bands I booked for a show tonight (The Reptilian) had a guitarist who was using an EQ pedal to boost. Sounded cool. I want to learn more about it, yadda yadda yadda.

Specifically interested in these

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M108-Ten-Band-Graphic-EQ?sku=151115

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-Graphic-Fuzz-XO-Fuzz-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=501646

• Members

Shoot I just use a danelectro fish n chips. Cheapest clean boost ya could ever get! It actually does more than just add volume and eq. In front of a dirty amp it'll actually push it harder and cause more breakup and in front of dirt pedals it really slams em. I'm sure there is stuff that makes boutique clean boost pedals better somehow but it works great for a pedal that can be had for $20.

• Members

Stealth'd GE-7. Best 50 bucks Ive ever spent (not counting hookers and blow)

I don't know anything about the stealth mod but I didn't like my stock GE-7 at all. Noisy and seemed to take a lot away from the sound when set 'flat' - that's kinda what you get with graphic eqs though.

I hear good things about the fish n chips though.

• Members

Stealth'd GE-7. Best 50 bucks Ive ever spent (not counting hookers and blow)

The GE7 doesn't have level boost and almost any boost on it = hiSSSS BUT

It does make a cool low noise Fendery scoop for clean tones. If the Stealth mod cleans it up and adds lots of output it would be very useful.

• Members

The GE-7 has a level slider, the GE-6 doesn't (and has 6 bands as opposed to the 7 on the GE-7). The stock GE-7 is a bit noisy, though (the Fish & Chips much less so).

Basically, anything that can raise the level can be used as a boost. The trick to using an EQ is that you can also change the tone a bit while boosting (either to compensate for the relative increase in low end you always get with a higher level, or to tailor the boosted sound for solos etc).

Archived