A New Era has begun for me - I am done buying vintage pedals on eBay

• Members

I just had a miserable vintage pedal buying experience, which I really dont want to go into detail about. Suffice it to say that I lost about $400 in this debacle :cry:

But I'm writing it off as karma for all the great deals I've had over the years, so losses cut and time to move on.

This experience has made 1 significant change in me... I am done with buying more vintage pedals, which essentially means I am done buying pedals save the occasional EHX new release masterpiece.

Time now to use these things more, and surf eBay less.

Hopefully this also means more video demos posted here of the stuff I've gathered over the last 4 years.

Next thread? The Official EHX Vintage Treadles Thread

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've come to the conclusion that constantly looking for gear is a sickness, I would always be searching kijiji, looking for deals, often find some really cool stuff, but you become fixated on the gear, just be happy with what you got, and play your gear often, otherwise these things start owning you.

On that note and something you might appreciate, I just score an early green "tall font" russian civil war big muff by accident and it's my new favorite pedal.... the muff that actually cuts through the mix! I never thought I'd find it. Goes to show that if it's meant to be it will find you. Don't always got to be searching the bay.

Anyways sorry to hear about your loss..... now start giving those pedals the attention they deserve.

• Members

Well that sucks man. I've never been hardcore burned by the bay, but the fear is always there.

I'd be interested to see your collection. I always just kinda glanced at EHX until I got my SMMH, which I LOVE :love:. I gotta take my hat off to them though, pretty sweet company.

And I know you said you didn't wanna get into it, but... eh?

• Members

I've come to the conclusion that constantly looking for gear is a sickness, I would always be searching kijiji, looking for deals, often find some really cool stuff, but you become fixated on the gear, just be happy with what you got, and play your gear often, otherwise these things start owning you.

On that note and something you might appreciate, I just score an early green "tall font" russian civil war big muff by accident and it's my new favorite pedal.... the muff that actually cuts through the mix! I never thought I'd find it. Goes to show that if it's meant to be it will find you. Don't always got to be searching the bay.

Anyways sorry to hear about your loss..... now start giving those pedals the attention they deserve.

Congrats on your excellent score :thu:

Yes, I am taking this experience as a sign that it is time to shift my attention back on recording.

As for "details", I dont want to do that.

• Members

i just got a notification for a vintage pedal i got ripped off on a few years ago..gonna see if its the same douchebag seller.

Probably not. This seller was from The Canary Islands. Strange thing is that I bought 2 pedals from him ( separate auctions within a week apart), and the other pedal was pristine.

• Members

Probably not. This seller was from The Canary Islands. Strange thing is that I bought 2 pedals from him ( separate auctions within a week apart), and the other pedal was pristine.

Sucks. This guy disappeared with my cash, and I've only seen the pedal one other time since then (2007)

• Members

...But I'm writing it off as karma for all the great deals I've had over the years, so losses cut and time to move on.

This experience has made 1 significant change in me... I am done with buying...

Time now to use these things more, and surf eBay less.

this is exactly where i'm at. 270 perfect transactions then BANG! 2 bad ones, a beautiful 335 variant with a broken neck and vintage SG that was not exactly as described. things worked out in the end but now i'm thinking it's a karma thing (thought i paid my karma bill already) or it's a luck run out thing. i'll be better off refraining from buying expensive things SIGHT UNSEEN.

Archived