Best of the best!

vidnotlaw

• Members

Just wanted to get this out there...

I have had some great dealings with some GREAT 'boutique' pedal builders. I have had nice conversations with them and had some KILLER 'custom' pedals built for me. In my dealings with them, there are a few that deserve to be considered the best (as in very nice, willing to go the extra mile, EXCELLENT customer service and great pedals). The list is in no order as that would be very difficult... but here are my favorite 'boutique' pedal builders that I have done business with:

Dr. Scientist - Ryan and Tanya are GREAT, GREAT, GREAT people! Period! They make phenomenal pedals, Ryan is very curtious and Tanya's art is OVER THE TOP! I've seen Ryan get 'attacked' by people on forums and he approached it with ut-most respect and NEVER attacked back. He loves building and tweaking pedals and comes up with some great ideas and implements them resulting in killer sounding pedals! He's got some new pedals coming out soon and they are going to be KILLER... I can't wait.

Blackout Effectors - I can't say enough about Kyle and co. I've briefly talked with Kyle through emails on and off and he is a class act! He was able to come through for me when I wanted to raise some money for a family in need by building a custom Twosome for me. That pedal was auctioned off for the aforementioned family! For that I am forever in his debt! His pedals are top notch... the Musket and Whetstone are way up on my list as being two of my favorite pedals. I look forward to more of his pedals in the future (still need to buy a Mantra)!

Earthbound Audio - Mark is sometimes difficult to get a hold of, but he builds one of the best sounding Big Muff clones i've heard! I love the added features he put into the Beast pedal. He is a very busy person, but exceptionally nice and builds quality pedals that sound superb. I know he is working on some new pedals and I look forward to him unearthing them!

Skreddy - Marc from Skreddy has an amazing ear for Big Muffs! He is awesome to talk with and loves to chat about the Big Muff circuit (and pedals/circuits in general). His pedals sound amazing and he has GREAT customer service (as do all the builders I have listing). I've had several emails back and forth with him about a couple of his pedals and why he chose certain values/caps/resistors etc... He has a vast knowledge of circuits and is very open to discuss it. Amazing pedals!

Robot Factory Pedals - Mario is a great guy and willing to customize any of his pedals for his customer! He will do pretty much anything that you could wish for as long as it's possible! His White Russian pedal sounds fantastic. He makes a killer clone of the Meatball and has some very cool pedals that do some crazy {censored}! Top notch builder and a great guy!

Jack Deville Electronics - Jack is very serious about his pedals and puts a lot of thought into them... and it shows! His pedals are fantastic. He is a very nice person and has great knowledge of electronics. He is willing to help out the DIY crowd with that knowledge as well. I currently have a Mod Zero being built for me and can not wait to get it! Another builder that was willing to go that extra mile and loved doing it!

Blackart Toneworks - Mark only really has the Pharaoh pedal available right now... but it is a KILLER sounding pedal. He is VERY friendly and has excellent customer service. I know he is working on another pedal and I can't wait to find out what it is! His Pharaoh pedal is a very unique take on the big muff circuit and anybody that needs/wants a great sounding fuzz/distortion that won't get lost in the mix should buy one! For the price it's hard to beat.

That's about it for now... if you have never purchased a pedal from any of these builders, you should give them a try... all of them are excellent people with KILLER pedals! There are a couple of other builders that I had good dealing with, but these are the builders that really went out of there way and loved doing it.

Enjoy,

Vid

• Members

Have you tried the Centurion silicon fuzz that Mark makes? I'd like to get one at some point.

The thing I'm really excited about is the up and coming IRON PIG FUZZ! It's supposed to be similar to the small run of Lambs Head Beasts he did last fall, a more fuzzy take on the Muff. The Beast is my favorite fuzz box I've ever used, and I will without a doubt purchase any other Muff veriations that he comes out with. I was bummed that I missed out on the Lambs Head Beast.

• Members

I haven't tried the Centurion fuzz, but I would like to. It sounds good from the samples I've heard.

I haven't heard a lot about the Iron Pig fuzz, but I'll be on look out for it. The Beast/Supercollider are among my favorite fuzz pedal! It's got such an 'organic' sound to it!

Take care,

Vid

Have you tried the Centurion silicon fuzz that Mark makes? I'd like to get one at some point.

The thing I'm really excited about is the up and coming IRON PIG FUZZ! It's supposed to be similar to the small run of Lambs Head Beasts he did last fall, a more fuzzy take on the Muff. The Beast is my favorite fuzz box I've ever used, and I will without a doubt purchase any other Muff veriations that he comes out with. I was bummed that I missed out on the Lambs Head Beast.

• Members

I've got no problems with Skreddy... His pedals sound killer and I've had many email conversations with him and he is always great to chat with! I've opened up several of his pedals I own and I see no issue with build quality.

Enjoy,

Vid

Interesting that you mention Skreddy, I know a few guys that are quite upset with them because of their build quality/response to it.

• Members

Blackart Toneworks - Mark only really has the Pharaoh pedal available right now... but it is a KILLER sounding pedal. He is VERY friendly and has excellent customer service. I know he is working on another pedal and I can't wait to find out what it is! His Pharaoh pedal is a very unique take on the big muff circuit and anybody that needs/wants a great sounding fuzz/distortion that won't get lost in the mix should buy one! For the price it's hard to beat.

I completely agree! I can't say anything but good things about Mark and what he's doing, very prompt responses to questions and he is very helpful :thu:

• Members

I've got no problems with Skreddy... His pedals sound killer and I've had many email conversations with him and he is always great to chat with! I've opened up several of his pedals I own and I see no issue with build quality.

Enjoy,

Vid

In my one dealing with Skreddy, he was nice and i had no issues with the build. it did take over a month more than the timeframe he told me when I ordered the pedal, which was a little disappointing, though at least back then he wasn't asking for a down payment, so I really had no reason to complain. If I had put $100 down and six months went by with no communication only to encounter a further delay, I might have been rather peeved.

Archived