Anyone tried the mustang Bass Ri??

mr benn

• Members

I had a 78 and have played a reissue. Liked the playability of em, not so much the sustain.

Nice as a 2nd bass. Not good as a main player though.

EDIT: I do regret selling the '78

Hmmm... this will pretty much be for recording home demos so I guess I could compress it in Logic or whatever?

what are you using now? welcome to the forum btw!

• Members

Hmmm... this will pretty much be for recording home demos so I guess I could compress it in Logic or whatever?

what are you using now? welcome to the forum btw!

Would be good for studio. I would prefer something more versatile. Like I said the playability is great (the reissue was better IMO).

I use an American Jazz, ESP C-304, and a cheapo P.

The Jazz pretty much does all I want though.

I have not played the new ones, but I've played/owned a couple of Fender short scale basses (Mustangs / Musicmasters), and the sustain wasn't bad IMO. The low E string can be a bit lighter on the sustain and definitely less full sounding than on a full scale, but with flatwounds it seems like less of an issue than with roundwounds.

If versatility is crucial, nothing beats a bass with a P/J pickup configuration IMO. Best of both worlds. I love my Ibanez SR1100 for that reason, and even with my small hands, the neck on it is small enough that it remains easy to play - even with the 34" scale length.

• Members

I'd rather playability though,and I do have really small hands (quiet at the back boys! :cop:)
maybe down the line I'll look at a S/H squier vintage vibe for any full scale tones I need

anyone tried the Sans Amp VT bass?
I've a 70's Marshall Bass 12 like this...
3404655903_4107859687_z.jpg
little SS thing with a celestion 10" but I'm not sure it's up to recording my tasty licks :lol:

• Members

If versatility is crucial, nothing beats a bass with a P/J pickup configuration IMO. Best of both worlds. I love my Ibanez SR1100 for that reason, and even with my small hands, the neck on it is small enough that it remains easy to play - even with the 34" scale length.

For sure.

• Members

VT bass is tits. Great pedal.

Look into SX basses from Rondo. Throw some strings and a setup and they are the {censored} (really dont even need that). They come in 30" scales too.

sweet,I think i'll pickup a VT bass then...thanks!

• Members

Oddly enough, my bass player left his Fiesta Red Mustang Bass at my casa. It's sitting beside me right now, and it's miles nicer than the '75 Fender Musicmaster Bass I used to have. Light enough, easily handled, fun to play. Good fit and finish.

As a now-occasional bass player (as opposed to full-time many years ago), I'd be happy with a Mustang as my only bass. It's not exactly a Swiss Army knife, but it does what it does very well. With a blank slate like the Mustang, versatility is up to the player.

• Members

Oddly enough, my bass player left his Fiesta Red Mustang Bass at my casa. It's sitting beside me right now, and it's miles nicer than the '75 Fender Musicmaster Bass I used to have. Light enough, easily handled, fun to play. Good fit and finish.

As a now-occasional bass player (as opposed to full-time many years ago), I'd be happy with a Mustang as my only bass. It's not exactly a Swiss Army knife, but it does what it does very well. With a blank slate like the Mustang, versatility is up to the player.

Interesting to hear you think the Ri is nicer,thats encouraging!!

• Members

but that's a vintage one,and she's modded the {censored} out of it

hmmm...

I owned the original and let me tell you, that's the tone of a P-Bass you're loving. She dropped P-Bass pups in there. The scale might have been more comfortable but she wanted that thick P-Bass tone? :idk:

Archived