can you name me some pitch-vibrato pedals....

companyman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

VB-2 is seriously the only decent one I've ever had... the price is justifiable IMHO. It's comparable to a Jazzmaster whammy bar even when using something like a Telecaster. I'd like to pick one up again at some point.

• Members

The Pitch Pirate is nuts, probably more pedal than I would need, the Malekko sounds pretty good....I decided to pick up an EHX Worm from the spam thread, I had a big box Worm when they first came out, but the hiss was unbearable, so I sold it. The XO is really quiet, and the vibrato is what I am looking for, I love the slow and deep vibrato sounds so much! The phaser and the modulated wah are just tasty gravy.

Guest Guest

I like the BYOC VB-2 clone alright. Super bright compared to any other pitch vibrato pedal I've used (Pitch Pirate, Diamond Vibrato, etc.)

EQD? What's it called?

Maybe they're referring to the Sea Machine.

Guest Guest

The Worm has expression capability also, which could be very useful I think, especially with the modulated wah and phaser.....I am curious about the latch mode in the VB-2 also, is it a momentary latch?

Yeah, I think so - with variable-delay onset.

IMO the only thing that the VB-2 has going for it is the latching option - otherwise, the Malekko sounds just as good if not better.

I would agree with this. The VB-2 is a cool pedal, but what sets it apart from a lot of other vibrato pedals isn't the sound, but the Mode switch. You have three settings: Latch, Unlatch (my favorite) and Bypass. When it's in bypass, depressing the footpedal works like you'd normally expect. Latch leaves the pedal on, and unlatch is the opposite - it leaves the vibrato off unless you step on, and HOLD the footswitch down; when you do, the vibrato fades in pretty naturally, and you can bring in the vibrato only on specific notes or phrases.

If all you want is a great sounding vibrato, and you tend to leave it on, you can do as well, if not better, with other options, and IMHO, the Malekko Omicron Vibrato is definitely one of them - that's what I'm using for a vibrato pedal.

Oh, and to get those "vibrato only on certain notes and phrases" options, I run it in a loop of a Pigtronix Keymaster, and use an expression pedal to bring it in or drop it out at will. Works with ANY pedal. :)

• Members

Few things I liked about the VB-2 (funny how till that was mentioned there was no comparing...):

- LATCHED: so the effect is only on when you press down on the switch but also retains your highs and smooths out your overall vibrato.

- 12v mang. It sounds absolutely enormous and slayed the Malekko I had (and Diamond, etcetc).

- Small footprint! Stupid I know but for an effect you're not going to be using all that much (at one point or another) it's a definite plus.

Bad things?

- Price. And it's why I sold it and why people ultimately rag on it.

I guess you're all entitled to your opinion or whatever but personally I didn't think the Malekko stood a chance. Out of the 5-10 Vibratos I've owned the only ones that were half decent were the BYOC and the Diamond was pretty horn. I never tried a Whetstone but I'm not sure if that's true pitch-vibrato? In either case- VB-2 just can't be beat in my opinion.

• Members

I would agree with this. The VB-2 is a cool pedal, but what sets it apart from a lot of other vibrato pedals isn't the sound, but the Mode switch. You have three settings: Latch, Unlatch (my favorite) and Bypass. When it's in bypass, depressing the footpedal works like you'd normally expect. Latch leaves the pedal on, and unlatch is the opposite - it leaves the vibrato off unless you step on, and HOLD the footswitch down; when you do, the vibrato fades in pretty naturally, and you can bring in the vibrato only on specific notes or phrases.

If all you want is a great sounding vibrato, and you tend to leave it on, you can do as well, if not better, with other options, and IMHO, the Malekko Omicron Vibrato is definitely one of them - that's what I'm using for a vibrato pedal.

Oh, and to get those "vibrato only on certain notes and phrases" options, I run it in a loop of a Pigtronix Keymaster, and use an expression pedal to bring it in or drop it out at will. Works with ANY pedal.
:)

That sounds pretty awesome. But not worth what VB-2s are worth.

Few things I liked about the VB-2 (funny how till that was mentioned there was no comparing...):

- 12v mang. It sounds absolutely enormous and slayed the Malekko I had (and Diamond, etcetc).

- Small footprint! Stupid I know but for an effect you're not going to be using all that much (at one point or another) it's a definite plus.

I guess you're all entitled to your opinion or whatever but personally I didn't think the Malekko stood a chance. Out of the 5-10 Vibratos I've owned the only ones that were half decent were the BYOC and the Diamond was pretty horn. I never tried a Whetstone but I'm not sure if that's true pitch-vibrato? In either case- VB-2 just can't be beat in my opinion.

You're entitled to your opinion, but were you fair to the Malekko?

First of all, did you try running it at 12V? It's okay to do so, and it DOES make a difference in the sound - http://malekkoheavyindustry.com/index.php/vibrato - in order for your comparison to be fair, you'd need to run both pedals at the same voltage, and from the sound of your post, it doesn't seem as though you did.

Secondly, in terms of size, the Omicron pedal is definitely smaller than the VB-2.

About the only significant difference that drops in the VB-2's favor IMHO is the switching, and as I said, not everyone is interested in that, and there are ways around it even if you are. :)

• Members

EQD? What's it called?

the Grand Orbiter got Vibrato with the right settings :idk:

EDIT: what is the VB-2? the Boss Vibrato?

anyway: the most Chorus Pedals got Vibrato on board (Retro Sonic Chorus, Red Witch Empress CHorus etc.) also Phaser (Whetstone...) and the most Uni-Vibe pedals got Vibrato mode. And the most chorus pedals without the extra vibrato switch just need the right settings to dial vibrato in.

My Favs. are the Diamond Vibrato and the Malekko Omicron Vibrato...

• Members

About the only significant difference that drops in the VB-2's favor IMHO is the switching, and as I said, not everyone is interested in that, and there are ways around it even if you are.

You just made me want to by one of them toadworks enveloop things and a malekko vibrato. Idk, that's just where my head went after this sentence.

You just made me want to by one of them toadworks enveloop things and a malekko vibrato. Idk, that's just where my head went after this sentence.

I've also got an Enveloop, and it works great with that pedal too - the difference being that when used with the Toadworks, it kicks in based on your playing dynamics - play harder and you hear more vibrato, play softer and you hear less - or, if you prefer, you can "flip" that so that you only hear the vibrato on the soft parts. :)

Of course, adding a Keymaster or Enveloop to the rig increases the "footprint" quite a bit, and requires a lot more pedalboard real estate than the VB-2 does... but as I said, you can use those pedals with your other pedals too, and not just in conjunction with the vibrato, which, IMHO, is a significant increase in terms of capabilities / flexibility / utility.

• Members

I've also got an Enveloop, and it works great with that pedal too - the difference being that when used with the Toadworks, it kicks in based on your playing dynamics - play harder and you hear more vibrato, play softer and you hear less - or, if you prefer, you can "flip" that so that you only hear the vibrato on the soft parts.

yea, I thought that'd be a cool sound. How about you go try it for me? :)

• Members

First of all, did you try running it at 12V? It's okay to do so, and it DOES make a difference in the sound

That I didn't {censored}ing know! That's definitely wicked and something I hadn't tried. I retract my statement and am suddenly interested in this thread turning into more about the Malekko. As I said the size thing is a matter of opinion too but I mix my vibrato up a fair bit (chorus / delay / whatever fits like most others I'm sure) and when you have a Diamond or Strymon on there it gets a bit rough (which I saw as the only contenders having exhausted the market).

Lesson for today? Time to start exhausting the brain!

Archived