Unexpected GAS - WMD GEIGER Counter - Full size/Civilian Issue...talk me into/out of

Johansolo

• Members

been watching all the videos on youtube...anyone got/use one and care to chime in?

is just a fun gimmicky thing or do you put it to good use?

is it worth the extra to get the bigger one or are all the fun sounds in the civilian issue?

• Members

Um. I've had both. I think I'd prefer to have the big one but practically (and financially) a lot of the major sounds are available in the little one. It just has less control over the parameters and a much much smaller wave table.

It's not something I use that often but it does work well on recordings for some insane sounds.

• Members

Get the big box one. The Civilian Issue is cool for what it is, but you don't have nearly as much control over the bit depth or the sample rate (which I'd figure you'd want control over in a bitcrusher :idk:). It is super useful, but it works best with bass instruments/low frequencies.

• Members

Get the big box one. The Civilian Issue is cool for what it is, but you don't have nearly as much control over the bit depth or the sample rate (which I'd figure you'd want control over in a bitcrusher
:idk:
). It is super useful, but it works best with bass instruments/low frequencies.

Hmm really? I should try mine on bass. I always figured it wouldn't handle those frequencies.

• Members

All I can say is smack it, smack it hard! I have the big one and I actually use it a lot as a gritty fuzz that really rips in a mix. There's so much cool stuff in there though, I've barely scratched the surface.

Here's mine residing on my board.

DSC_1913.jpg

• Members

Hmm really? I should try mine on bass. I always figured it wouldn't handle those frequencies.

Absolutely; I think that with guitar it sounds a bit thin because of all the upper harmonic content. Those same sounds sing with bass, especially with the highs rolled off. The bass signal takes on more of the character of the wavetable distortion. Running a pure sine wave into it rules. I've got a chiptunes board that I'm putting together on which I plan on using the GC for primarily FM bass synth sounds.

• Members

Absolutely; I think that with guitar it sounds a bit thin because of all the upper harmonic content. Those same sounds sing with bass, especially with the highs rolled off. The bass signal takes on more of the character of the wavetable distortion. Running a pure sine wave into it rules. I've got a chiptunes board that I'm putting together on which I plan on using the GC for primarily FM bass synth sounds.

Hmm this is a big duh but I should probably run the Slim Phatty triangle wave into it, shouldn't I?

• Members

Hmm this is a big duh but I should probably run the Slim Phatty triangle wave into it, shouldn't I?

Yes, although the one downside to line level instruments is that it seems to overload the input of the GC in some manner; produces a lot of undesirable noise. A passive bass guitar with the tone knob rolled all the way off is likely your best bet -- but yes, absolutely give the Little Phatty triangle wave a try. You'll probably dig a lot of the sounds you find!

• Members

Yes, although the one downside to line level instruments is that it seems to overload the input of the GC in some manner; produces a lot of undesirable noise. A passive bass guitar with the tone knob rolled all the way off is likely your best bet -- but yes, absolutely give the Little Phatty triangle wave a try. You'll probably dig a lot of the sounds you find!

Luckily the phatty has a volume knob :) Works quite well, I just found out.

• Members

I never tried the Civilian Issue, but I do have the standard Geiger Counter. The Civilian looks reeeeally limited comparatively, but that really depends on your needs and perspective. If someone isn't looking to spend hours dialing through hundreds of wavetables and really exploring how each one is affected by various signal levels and methods of playing then the Civilian Issue is probably more of an immediate, distilled, and thusly useful pedal. It just depends on your needs really.

Archived