OT: IT'S TIME... Who are you voting for ... ???

Diametro

• Members

no, I think evidence shows a pretty clear lack of a supreme being.

but its not something i have to
believe
, because its actually supported by evidence. this has nothing to do with gut feelings.

I never said any of this had to do with gut feelings. I'm interested in the research that is so well documented to which you are referring.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Somehow this is strictly a bash against republicans, as though only republicans are responsible for all the problems. I'd like to hold all politicians accountable. Don't forget Congress has been 'controlled' by the democrats at times...

I

Well, Democrats have had control of Congress for all of two years in recent memory. Setting that aside, it's pretty clear who has been taking the country in its present direction. Government by the rich and for the rich.

Interestingly, our present course, as bad as it is, has more to do with *class* than with partisan loyalty. I've always been fascinated by the fact that nobody really talks about class distinction and social priorities in politics, when it tends to be the prevailing motivator behind the decisions of elected officials. We act as if class isn't even there, or as if it's not a real issue. It is THE issue. Elect a millionaire, and he'll tend to make decisions that benefit other millionaires.

It wasn't always this way, but it is now. There was once a time when the wealthy used to go into public service to actually help common people. This was a tradition in the elite families of the Northeast, where once you'd "made it" you went into government to better the lots of others. It was a statement of virtue. The Roosevelt family is one example. The family of John Adams (and descendants) is another. A lot of this came from the grounding of education in Enlightenment philosophy, belief in the rights of man, etc.

Regardless, that sort of "elite" has been supplanted by something more like the robber barons of the late 19th century, the kind of people who would go around quoting William Graham Sumner.

• Members

i thought we were supposed to vote for the person who would do the best job, not what fits into your pseudo-binary PR constructs?

Absolutely.

I usually stay out of political threads that aren't where they belong, but I'm sick of the idiot's mantra of "you're throwing your vote away". What kind of effect would it have if several million people cast their vote for a third party candidate. In the past century it had a major effect when third parties received considerable votes, it scared the major parties into making major changes to their direction and platform.

There are several candidates on the write-in ballot. If they filed to be there, in most cases they will be on the write-in ballot for your state and all one has to do is ask, but considering how uneducated the average American voter is......:facepalm:

Almost $50T in commitments over the next generation. US GAO admits that either the government is going to have to renege or increase income taxes by 200% to keep the house of cards from caving in. Vote Obama and you're just trading one form of out-of-control government spending for another. Where's he going to get all this money to do this stuff, Obama people? The rich? You can only get so much blood from a stone. Nothing will change. the SS Titanic will still be taking on water. Maybe in four years everyone will realize that Giant Douche and Turd Sandwich don't have any answers nor the fortitude to make the hard decisions that have to be made.

• Members

Absolutely.

I usually stay out of political threads that aren't where they belong, but I'm sick of the idiot's mantra of "you're throwing your vote away". What kind of effect would it have if several million people cast their vote for a third party candidate.

fact check time for you, brudder

Evidence is 2000 election. Look at the amount of votes wasted on Nader

Yes, wasted

Who squeaked into the WH as a result ?

• Members

fact check time for you, brudder

Evidence is 2000 election. Look at the amount of votes wasted on Nader

Yes, wasted

Who squeaked into the WH as a result ?

The votes were only wasted from the vantage point of someone who thought that the president should be from the democrats/republicans. If one thought that a third party vote was important as a long range strategy to break out of the corporate democrat/republican one party system, it wasn't wasted.

No one really knew how utterly horrible the Bush administration would be. I voted for Nader in 2000, then held my nose and voted for Kerry in 2004. Do I consider my vote "wasted" in 2000? No.