Good cheap octave pedals

grunge782

• Members

I can tell you that the Dano Chili Dog is a Foxx Tone Machine clone. That means octave up, most prominent with the neck pickup around the 10th fret and higher. If you play chords through it with octave on, it makes an amusing blast of something that sounds like white noise. May not be what you're looking for.

That would be the French Toast, the Chili Dog is an octave down.

I'm still wondering though what kind of differences are found between a digital and analog octave pedal. The Dano chili dog and OC2 seems to be getting a lot of love, so I'm wondering what differences I would find between the 2 (besides the casing, I know the boss is sturdier.)

The boss sounds far more artificial and IMHO like crap compared to the chili dog.

• Members

Does anyone else feel that the POG series from EHX is overpriced? Not like "That {censored}'s overpriced! I'm chincy as {censored}! I'm 12 what is this?" but like "Man I'd love to have one of those, but {censored} dawg, thats expensive for what you get."

yes! i love the pogs! but i can't justify dropping that much dough to get octaves.

• Members

Okay well that clears that up. The Bass Octave looks nice too, but is a bit higher up in price.

I'm still wondering though what kind of differences are found between a digital and analog octave pedal. The Dano chili dog and OC2 seems to be getting a lot of love, so I'm wondering what differences I would find between the 2 (besides the casing, I know the boss is sturdier.)

Octave up can be done with a fairly simple analog circuit. Octave down cannot.

The simplest octave down uses the input signal to trigger a digital counter. The output of the counter is 1/2 the frequency of the input signal, but it's constant amplitude. This signal goes through an envelope generator that's controlled by a peak follower from the input signal, restoring the amplitude variations. What all this means is that the output is a synthetic signal with more or less the same volume dynamics as the input signal. This sort of circuit needs a clean monotone input in order to correctly count the frequency. If you run dirt or chords into it then it will sound like poo.

Polyphonic octave down requires digitizing the input signal and performing real-time pitch conversion on it. This requires a digital signal processor and software. With some reasonable horsepower in the DSP you can get continuously variable pitch like the Whammy.

So, in a nutshell:

Octave up: Pure analog, reasonably simple circuit, inexpensive.

Monotone octave down: Relatively simple digital/analog hybrid, synthetic sounding, inexpensive.

Polyphonic octave down: Fully digital processing, sounds as good as the software, moderately expensive.

• Members

The simplest octave down uses the input signal to trigger a digital counter. The output of the counter is 1/2 the frequency of the input signal, but it's constant amplitude. This signal goes through an envelope generator that's controlled by a peak follower from the input signal, restoring the amplitude variations. What all this means is that the output is a synthetic signal with more or less the same volume dynamics as the input signal.This sort of circuit needs a clean monotone input in order to correctly count the frequency.
If you run dirt or chords into it then it will sound like poo.

I'm not going to argue with your technical knowledge, but that last statement is surely subjective and dependant on a several factors...

Just the other day, I was running an octave-up fuzz into an octave-down pedal and it sounded great for what I was playing.

• Members

Okay well that clears that up. The Bass Octave looks nice too, but is a bit higher up in price.

Yep - I had an OC-2 for awhile and it is pretty cool for fast single note riffs like CKY, but the tracking gets kinda wonky if you hold a note for very long.

Archived