OT: DSLR choice (Calling Mr Benn, Mistersuperfly...)

Vince

• Members

General photography really - tomorrow evening I'm shooting some food for a recipe book, next week I need to capture some images for use as texture in a render of a 3d model.

I would say controlled studio shots more than anything, although occasionally I would like to use the camera to take action shots when I'm out mountain biking.

what kind of photography you looking at???

anyways, what really matters are lenses... and imo canon is better and slightly cheaper (iirc)

• Members

i just got the canon rebel t3i and its hella nice. so far im loving it, just got a new lens yesterday too, the 50mm 1.8 mk 1 made in japan.

the t2i isnt really any worse, just missing a swivel screen and a mic input. i think the models might be named a bit differently if youre in the uk, but i definitely recommend the canons

• Members

Ya see... this is an interesting question/tough choice. Not sure what used prices are like over there and what all that budget can get you but you've got a few ways to go with this. I'm a canon shooter now though I started with a D90... honestly the new cameras from both nikon and canon have amazing specs and are capable of quite a bit in terms of image quality, but personally I can't stand shooting with those tiny cameras as they are basicaly optimized foe someone who shoots in automatic modes only as they lack most of the physical interfaces that someone who really wants to get into what they're doing and use manual modes needs. The canon T series and the nikon xx00 series all fall into this category whereas the canon 50/60D/7D/5D and Nikon D90/D300 etc are much more capable professionally (in terms of handling and actual real life usage).

Honestly the 7D is a hardened version of the 60D with slightly better low light capabilities and the 60D is just a hardened version of the T2i/T3i with the full array of controls... same sensor across the board. If you're looking for something that you're going to be able to turn on and use and get pretty good results with the auto and priority modes then by all accounts the T2i/T3i are great cameras... but if you want to dig deeper and learn to shoot manual and explore the more creative aspects of photography I suggest something a bit more full featured even if it requires you picking up something that on paper would sound outdated like the 50D or even if you can find a good deal on a used 5D Classic (they go for about as much as a used D90 around here and the quality is incredible even by todays standards, many pros still use them as you just can't beat full frame).

At the end of the day the lens is going to make by far the most difference... a good 50mm prime is all you'll need for what you want to do, 1.8 is fine but get a 1.4 if you can... don't mess with cheap zooms as that's exactly what they are and can't even approach the sharpness or image quality of the cheap primes.

Also getting an off camera flash is going to make an incredible difference too, much moreso than any amount of megapixels or anything the body is going to do, because at the end of the day photography is all about light anyways. Something with the ability to swivel the head and bounce the light off another source will make all the difference in the world, anything that world with your cameras TTL like the SB 600 or 430EXII or even the cheaper yongnuo flashes will work great. I do believe the t3i comes with canon's new wireless flash control abilities too..

So basically if you can find a good deal on a used t2i body with a 50 1.8 and a 430exii you'd be set. Even better if you can make that a 50D.

Excuse any typos, typed this on my phone.

• Members

Yeah, If you can get a 5d, do that {censored}.

I have a t2i that I use for video work, and I love it.

I use mainly older Nikon manual prime lenses, and get absolutely awesome results.

But the d90 is no slouch either.

Mistersuperfly is absolutely right about it being all about the lenses, especially in a controlled studio enviroment.

Have youi had a DSLR before ever? What are your feelings about nikon vs canon?

• Members

Nope, not had a Dslr before, but I know how to use a fully manual Slr so I'm not phased by the level of control.

Feelings between Canon and Nikon? I use a Nikon FM2 at the moment but most people I've talked to rate Canon lenses higher than Nikons so I don't know. If I got got a D90 I could use my current lenses, whereas if I got a Canon I'd have to make do with a cheapish lens for a while.

Yeah, If you can get a 5d, do that {censored}.

I have a t2i that I use for video work, and I love it.

I use mainly older Nikon manual prime lenses, and get absolutely awesome results.

But the d90 is no slouch either.

Mistersuperfly is absolutely right about it being all about the lenses, especially in a controlled studio enviroment.

Have youi had a DSLR before ever? What are your feelings about nikon vs canon?

• Members

have fun shopping. in your budget, you can get a very nice used camera since you are open to that. Also, as another poster mentioned, the camera bodies come and go but your lenses are your constant, so i recommend grabbing a 2-3 yr old body in order to invest more in just the right lenses.

And not to de-emphasize the Ford vs. Chevy debate, but there are Hondas, Dodge, Toyota, and even a Rolls Royce out there too, so don't be afraid to veer off the path to find what best meets your needs.

good luck.

• Members

All this talk of lenses and such, let it be known that Nikon is known for their lenses incredible image and build quality... they're just much more expensive across the board. Canon has more in terms of extreme wide apertures in their range of lenses and the prices of their lenses often don't require you to sell spare organs (though they are getting there, prices have gone up in the past few years, just look at the 50 1.4).

The Fuji X100 is the only non Canon/Nikon/Leica that has made me look sideways at my DSLR... I REALLY want one of those things as a go-to carry around camera, they look so freaking cool.

• Members

Well what Nikon lenses do you have? If they are autofocus and have the older screw type then you have to get a body that can support those like the D90/D7000 in order for the AF to work

AF Nikkor 35-105 1:3.5-4.5

AF Nikkor 80-200 1:4.5-5.6 D (cheap, but it works)

AF Nikkor 50 1:1.8

I'm not tied to these lenses, but if I can get something that will work with these it means I can save at least

• Members

All this talk of lenses and such, let it be known that Nikon is known for their lenses incredible image and build quality... they're just much more expensive across the board. Canon has more in terms of extreme wide apertures in their range of lenses and the prices of their lenses often don't require you to sell spare organs (though they are getting there, prices have gone up in the past few years, just look at the 50 1.4).

The Fuji X100 is the only non Canon/Nikon/Leica that has made me look sideways at my DSLR... I REALLY want one of those things as a go-to carry around camera, they look so freaking cool.

Yeah they look super awesome and they just released a firmware update too which ie supposed to smooth out a good bit of the links.

• Members

I did have a go at the Fuji X100 (although I didnt get to check the photos on computer after) and I was not impressed. What I am lusting at the moment as a carry around camera is a GF1 or GF2... boy I want one of those!!!

Archived