OT: DSLR choice (Calling Mr Benn, Mistersuperfly...)

Vince

• Members

I would save a bit on the body and splurge for an L lens. soon you will want to upgrade the body, but a good lens you will keep for a while!

um, somehow suggesting an L lens to someone who's just starting out doesn't strike my as a good idea. what if they don't like the focal length they've chosen? among other things...

• Members

Yea if you gave me the choice between a 5D and a T3i I'd take the 5D all day... screw video and megapixels, full frame till I die!_

ha, same! since I started shooting film, I can't go back to non-full frame anymore.

• Members

I'd be more inclined in recommending a bright prime as a starter's kit, but that's just me.
:thu:

still, I'd say start inexpensive.
:idk:

but then again, it is harder to commit to a fixed lens as a starter photographer. with a zoom you will find your sweet spot and then you move on to a fixed. At least that is the case with me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Thread update (like anyone actually cares).

Bought myself a D90 last week. Lovely, lovely camera - really impressed by the quality it puts out so far. Can't wait to get to grips with it and shoot some awesome photos.

5984446218_7a2b321332_b.jpg

• Members

Cool. I wouldn't have got the D90, but I got it on 6 months 0% and as I already had lenses I didn't need to splurge on them. I will however be getting a super wide angle next year. Tokina 11-16 here we come!

Saw your Tumblr post about it. Nice choice!
:thu:
I was looking at those earlier this week, but they were right out of my price range. I ended up with a nice bundle deal for right under $700- Canon Rebel T1i, EF-S 18-55mm and 55mm-250mm lens.

Archived