How to properly clean a pedal?

grunge782

• Members

One of my Marshall Guvnor's (old black version), while it works fine when turning the knobs, its a little scratchy and gunked up around the input and outputs. I opened it up to take a look at the circuitboard as well and it is a little gunked up in there as well. What is the proper way to clean a pedal?

Yeah, I can't really recommend using sandpaper as a substitute for a burnishing tool. For that matter, I don't really recommend using a burnishing tool unless you know it's absolutely needed. 95% of the time, a simple cleaning of the jacks with Caig DeOxIt will be all you need. It's also great for cleaning scratchy control pots. Give them a small squirt (into the side opening of the pot near the lugs) and quickly spin the pot through its full range of motion a few times.

As far as cleaning the circuit board, don't bother. It shouldn't need it.

As far as cleaning the exterior of the case, I use a very soft bristle nylon brush to "dust" off any loose dirt and dust, and if there's anything else that needs to be cleaned off, a water-dampened soft cloth should be all you need. Avoid harsh chemicals - they can screw with the decals and finishes on some pedals.

• Members

Deoxyit for the pots and some light grit sandpaper wrapped around a pencil for the jacks
:thu:

no no no on the sandpaper.

One of the best things to clean those and other contacts (Works well on resistor, cap, etc. leads as well) is a simple pencil eraser.

And Deoxit to clear the debris.

For Component leads (This one is more for the DIY folks):

imagesqtbnANd9GcRSbseNBp8w6FU2_OmnN.jpg

For input/output jacks:

imagesqtbnANd9GcTtqo4qUo0LWt4cD7dL-.jpg

Both of those are miracle workers.

• Members

You're not supposed to be getting them dirty.

Pedals are for cherishing, not making music. Return them immediately to their original boxes and hermetically seal them in a low-voltage lighted humidity-controlled display case where they belong.

Archived