My bandmates imac - RIP, now he has a PC laptop, whats similar to Garageband?

Kid_A

• Members

So his iMac died the other day, thank god we can get the hard drive saved (let that be a warning for those who dont backup)

But he's now using a PC laptop and its new territory for me and him with regards to music software... He's found Logic/Ableton hard to use and wants something as simple as Garageband was. Now im not asking for GB on PC, but can anyone suggest something similar?

Cheers!

Sony's Acid is probably the most similar to Garageband - Garageband actually seems to have lifted a bunch of stuff from Acid, such as the way they handle stretching loops / audio clips at different song / project tempos.

It's a good program, and again, probably the closest in look, feel and function to Garageband.

too bad logic is only for mac as well.

It didn't used to be. I started with Logic's predecessor (Notator 1.12, on the Atari ST in the 1980s) and went through all of the various versions of Notator then Notator Logic and finally Logic - up to version 5 or so, when Apple purchased Emagic and did away with the 35% of the current Logic customers at the time who were running PC's. It was my main DAW for about 14 years... it ticked me off so much that I have never bothered buying Logic for my Mac. I also still run a PC as my main DAW because I don't want to have to wait two weeks for Apple to fix any hardware problems - with a PC, I can do it myself.

For what it's worth, I run Pro Tools HD2 Accel version 8.1 on my PC, and Pro Tools 9 on my Macbook. I love Pro Tools!

• Members

I like Acid a lot - I've worked with Ableton and Cubase and I always go back to Acid. It's pretty intuitive and easy to use (and I like how it looks - simple & well thought out).

Acid Studio is pretty cheap ($70 or so) but it is more than just Acid-lite - it's pretty lacking (I don't think that you can't have multiple busses and basic stuff like that). The full version is about $300 which is cheaper than Ableton and Pro-Tools and stuff like that.

I like it. I got into it after living with DJ's about 10 years ago and figured out that it works really well for what I do...

• Members

It didn't used to be. I started with Logic's predecessor (Notator 1.12, on the Atari ST in the 1980s) and went through all of the various versions of Notator then Notator Logic and finally Logic - up to version 5 or so, when Apple purchased Emagic and did away with the 35% of the current Logic customers at the time who were running PC's. It was my main DAW for about 14 years... it ticked me off so much that I have never bothered buying Logic for my Mac. I also still run a PC as my main DAW because I don't want to have to wait two weeks for Apple to fix any hardware problems - with a PC, I can do it myself.

For what it's worth, I run Pro Tools HD2 Accel version 8.1 on my PC, and Pro Tools 9 on my Macbook. I love Pro Tools!

my favorite sequencing platform EVER was the Atari ST running Cubase 3.0

even DEPECHE MODE still ran their live shows and recorded their albums with the Atari ST up until Violator.

most stable and accurate MIDI platform ever made......

• Members

my favorite sequencing platform EVER was the Atari ST running Cubase 3.0

even DEPECHE MODE still ran their live shows and recorded their albums with the Atari ST up until Violator.

most stable and accurate MIDI platform ever made......

Never has the saying ORLY been needed more than now... ORLY? Hmmmmm

my favorite sequencing platform EVER was the Atari ST...

...most stable and accurate MIDI platform ever made......

I've still got two 1040ST's in storage (one ST/e and an original ST/f), as well as a Mega ST/e, monochrome and color monitors, all my old C-Lab / Emagic multi-port hardware and dongles, etc. etc. I spent a GRIPLOAD on all that stuff, and when Apple unceremoniously dumped us (I was running Logic Platinum on a PC by then) with just an offer to crossgrade to the Mac version, it really ticked me off. If the damn iPod hadn't been so brilliant, I might never have gotten past it and purchased anything from Apple again. :lol: Even now that I own a Macbook, I don't own Logic.

But Notator 3.21 was a great sequencer. Fast. Stable. GREAT editable notation (decades before Avid finally got around to adding that to Pro Tools - which was one of my main PT beefs for years), multiple MIDI port support, easy copying, pasting, editing and arranging tools - and solid as a rock timing. The Ataris were great for MIDI.

• Members

I've still got two 1040ST's in storage (one ST/e and an original ST/f), as well as a Mega ST/e, monochrome and color monitors, all my old C-Lab / Emagic multi-port hardware and dongles, etc. etc. I spent a GRIPLOAD on all that stuff, and when Apple unceremoniously dumped us (I was running Logic Platinum on a PC by then) with just an offer to crossgrade to the Mac version, it really ticked me off. If the damn iPod hadn't been so brilliant, I might never have gotten past it and purchased anything from Apple again.
:lol:
Even now that I own a Macbook, I don't own Logic.

But Notator 3.21 was a great sequencer. Fast. Stable. GREAT editable notation (decades before Avid finally got around to adding that to Pro Tools - which was one of my main PT beefs for years), multiple MIDI port support, easy copying, pasting, editing and arranging tools - and solid as a rock timing. The Ataris were great for MIDI.

lol...back then, there was NOTATOR guys and CUBASE guys - and never the twain shall meet, lol.....the Notator guys seemed to be the drum n bass heavy drum programming guys, and the Cubase dudes seemed to be more synth stuff.....

the Atari ST has such impeccable MIDI timing because the MIDI support in built in NATIVE to the motherboard -- there's no "midi interface" -- the computer was DESIGNED to run MIDI.

i just saw a whole setup on craigslist for sale on south beach, i am sure it is from an electronic music makers who knows his sh#4t, because he wants $350 for the setup AND has notator, etc.....

i called Steinberg in Germany back in 1996, and offered to BUY a legit copy of Cubase, since i was using it to make commercially available music and felt guilty.

dude at Steinberg asked me "which crack are you using???"

i told him the one i had, he said "good, that one is stable, keep using it and enjoy! we don't support it any more, and aren't worried about it" :)

• Members

Never has the saying ORLY been needed more than now... ORLY? Hmmmmm

YAH RLY........depeche mode recorded and played live running Atari ST's - no {censored}.

sorry -- but the platform is STILL more stable for MIDI than any PC, maybe the MACS are as good, but i think the ST can still keep up with them

Archived