OT: New Amp Day!

jhamnett

• Members

878538f1.jpg

Egnater Tweaker head day! I've been excited for this little guy for a while, and listening to demos really upped my GAS. Spent a good 45 min with a Strat and the combo version at my local GC on Saturday so I ordered this puppy off the used website for a pretty sweet price (plus 12 months no financing with the GC card ;)). Playing it with my Strat through my JCM800's speaker (Celestion G12-65) is a blast.

The Tweaker's switches really help in sculpting a good tone. For cleans, the USA (Fender) and AC (Vox) settings provide very lush and spanky sounds. Really pleased with the cleans, and you can dial in a good clean tone without a ton of volume. Playing with some dirt requires more volume or else it sounds a bit muddy. For the bedroom players, if you're playing clean it's amazing, but you might want to run an OD in front for better clarity at low volumes. Bringing up the volume, however, gives some great drive sounds: gritty Vox OD, Bassman and Tweed Deluxe-esque Fender OD, some Mesa-ish distoriton (haven't tried this much since you need the volume for it), and JTM to JCM Marshall OD sounds are all to be had by adjusting the controls. Now, as I references these sounds, they are not 100% authentic to the amps the Tweaker is trying to emulate, but for what I paid they are definitely close enough.

What I really wanted out of this amp was a somewhat authentic Tweed Deluxe OD sound and it gets incredibly close to that (to my ears, anyway). The fact that it can reference a multitude of others sounds is just amazing to me. Definitely a keeper.

Also a plus is the fact that you can swap the 6V6 output tubes for any other octal power tube, so I'm going to soon try it out with EL34s and 6L6GCs, but would love to get some KT66 or 5881 tubes to try as well. Sounds great with the 6V6s as is! Honeymoon phase... commence! :love:

• Members

they're cool amps. I remember when the rep brought one in and was all cocky bein all "You gonna want one of these if you try it" and I was like breau, every rep comes in here with his new hotness and says the same thing. So even with my skepticism I thought it was great. One of the better teeny weeny amps I've played.

• Members

As much as I want to like Egnater amps, something about them just doesn't sit right with me. The sound is just off for what I go for.

Killer little amps though, especially for the price and flexibility. Enjoy!

Heard the Renegade a bit today with a SG. Guy playing got a great blues lead tone through it. But, yeah, highly tweakable amps like those have their "sweet spots" and if you're not dialed in right, sounds like poo. Like playing with a lot of gain on the Tweaker without running the master up. Real muddy until you let it run a bit more open.

• Members

they're cool amps. I remember when the rep brought one in and was all cocky bein all "You gonna want one of these if you try it" and I was like breau, every rep comes in here with his new hotness and says the same thing. So even with my skepticism I thought it was great. One of the better teeny weeny amps I've played.

Was thinking about a Transatlantic as a similar amp, but the Egnater is cheaper and has an effects loop, both of which I like. And I liked this a bunch better than the Lil Night Train. Yeah, def a cool teenie weenie amp :)

• Members

Was thinking about a Transatlantic as a similar amp, but the Egnater is cheaper and has an effects loop, both of which I like. And I liked this a bunch better than the Lil Night Train. Yeah, def a cool teenie weenie amp
:)

oh man it blows the tranny out of the water.

• Members

I was really impressed with the one I tried out when they first came out. I forgot you can change out the tubes. Will it take KT88's as well?

Hmmm....I was looking at the VHT Special 6 Ultra, but this seems like a whole lot more amp.

• Members

I was really impressed with the one I tried out when they first came out. I forgot you can change out the tubes. Will it take KT88's as well?

Hmmm....I was looking at the VHT Special 6 Ultra, but this seems like a whole lot more amp.

Yeah, any octal tube will work. Really cool feature.

As for the other comments, I'll admit really gaunt sounds at low volume aren't great with this amp, do if you were trying for that, yeah, wouldn't impress. But turn that master up and it shines!

Archived