OMG Looky this, vintage goodness inside.....

richey888

• Members
It
is
a good amp, but yes, something like that will surely be down the pike. SnorkelMonkey, it's just a Vibrolux. Not sure I understand your question.....no reverb or deluxe, just a '59 Fender Vibrolux.

With the tweeds they made a 5E11 and a 5F11. The F had some changes in the tremolo section.

All and all nice amp. In that condition I wouldn't say it's worth 2k. Maybe $1200-$1500? Great deal you got. :whisper: (it's basically a Harvard with tremolo, even better). Now you got to break out those Staxx records and play it like Steve.

[video=youtube;-pwaklOkoTU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pwaklOkoTU&feature=related

• Members

It
is
a good amp, but yes, something like that will surely be down the pike. SnorkelMonkey,
it's just a Vibrolux
. Not sure I understand your question.....no reverb or deluxe, just a '59 Fender Vibrolux.

Which is basically a 5E3 with tremolo, and a hell of a lot more rare.

You flip that thing and you're crazy.

So you're saying you got that thing for like $40?

• Members
Which is basically a 5E3 with tremolo, and a hell of a lot more rare.

Not really close at all to a 5E3. The 5E11/5F11's are fixed biased, NFB, and only one channel, of course add the tremolo. What it is is basically a 5F10 Harvard with tremolo.

The tweed Harvard has great resale value due in part to the fact that Steve Cropper is said to have used it on a lot of those old Staxx recordings. So you're getting that with the addition of tremolo. :cool:

• Members
Not really close at all to a 5E3. The 5E11/5F11's are fixed biased, NFB, and only one channel, of course add the tremolo. What it is is basically a 5F10 Harvard with tremolo.

The tweed Harvard has great resale value due in part to the fact that Steve Cropper is said to have used it on a lot of those old Staxx recordings. So you're getting that with the addition of tremolo.
:cool:

So it has a 10" then? My bad - I thought those had a 12" in them. Regardless - it's a rare amp.

• Members

So it has a 10" then? My bad - I thought those had a 12" in them. Regardless - it's a rare amp.

It's really more about the circuit than the speaker. The 5E3 is cathode biased, no NFB loop, dual channel without tremolo. These tweed Vibrolux's and Harvard's have a lot more in common with what they would evolve into aka the Princeton Reverb. Funny, I've seen studio photos of Steve Cropper in the mid to late 60's with what looks like a BF Princeton Reverb. If the tweed Harvard was his main amp early on he must have liked that circuit and probably unknowingly found kinship later on in those PR's.

• Members

10", 10W, 3 inputs. Will be enjoying it for a while, but scared to gig with it without adding a 3-prong....gots to see the amp man 1st. What do you guys think.....cap job? I will take pix of the guts when we open 'er up, but I'm 99% sure they're original (if no one changed the plug, the capacitors are surely original yes?)....

• Members

So much lower gain than a 5E3 then?

If you were to tally up the physical gain multiplied stage by stage you would find that they would be about the same ran as they were intended to. Our perception of gain in terms of output is sonically clouded when a circuit starts to clip not to mention physically reduced via amplitude and harmonic distortion. A method of testing was devised to test watts root mean square or RMS Watts of an amp to allow one to gauge how much clean watts an amp will produce before the onset of clipping aka distortion. With these amps using fixed bias and a global negative feedback loop they raise the ceiling of clean headroom before they start to break down and clip pushing up the RMS watts providing more gain than say the 5E3. Now when it comes to distortion? The 5E3 will have earlier onset of it. If you were to confuse distortion with gain you might think the 5E3 has more gain at earlier settings. Also if you channel jumper the 5E3's preamp section you will multiply the preamp gain by two then you multiply that by the gain stages down the pike. Technically if you did that you would have more gain but again amplitude and harmonic distortion clip that signal reducing actual output. In a side by side comparison you might find the others to be a little louder in person and if not in their original cabs ran into the same cab as the 5E3.

Archived