December New Gear Thread

Don Solaris

• Members

You could have told me and I would have given you my Korg KMT-60 with the same functionality (actually with 6 thru ports) for shipping costs.

I didn't know to ask! Thanks for the thought, though.

You don't happen to have any nubile young ladies of a "giving" disposition laying about gathering dust, do you? I'll pay shipping! :D:wave:

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't know to ask! Thanks for the thought, though.

You don't happen to have any nubile young ladies of a "giving" disposition laying about gathering dust, do you? I'll pay shipping!
:D:wave:

They hardly would gather dust, wouldn't they???:cop:

BTW, here is my choice for midi thru box.

104252.jpg

• Members

Tight month this month. Bought one of these and some Velcro tape. Now my 2 sustain pedals, my Volume pedal, and my CC pedal are all mounted to one sturdy base and don't slip and slide on me.

lol pedal creep sucks.

i find a bit of string between the base of the keyboard stand to be quite surprisingly effective!

Guest Anonymous

My SRV-330 just arrived, the collection is complete
:)

digitalrackwo3.jpg

If you're only going to use two screws when racking a piece of gear use the bottom holes. Gravity pulls down not up.

:idea:

• Members

If you're only going to use two screws when racking a piece of gear use the bottom holes. Gravity pulls down not up.

Shouldn't matter. The force is the same at upper or lower holes. Personally I think that screws are cheap and I use 4 of them. I would be more concerned stacking all Roland on top of each other. The are emitting lots of heat and the power supply is prone to failure due to heat.

Guest Anonymous

Shouldn't matter. The force is the same at upper or lower holes.

Well give it a try. Rack a piece of gear by only using the top holes and give it light push down from the back. Watch the rack ears slightly bend. Now move the screws to the bottom and notice much sturdier the unit is racked. This is a really problem with heavy amps and such. The other one that cracks me up is the classic one up-one down technique. This way you only bend one ear.

:facepalm:

Don't agree? That's cool since I won't be needing your help installing a Studio anytime soon.

:thu:

• Members

Don't agree? That's cool since I won't be needing your help installing a Studio anytime soon.

For heavy items I agree, in case of the Roland I would not care since the thickness of the bracket can deal with the addition of the back weight.

And just for the record, I said that I would always use 4 screws. I rather have me installing my rack than you with your two lower screw setting. :p

• Members

Attention, MF shoppers - I called MF again about the Missing Blofeld Incident, and they still have "no update". This is after my speaking to supervisor "Andrea" on Thursday, and supervisor "Mary" on Friday.

I was also told that they only have "one person working on missing items and returns", and it may take several days to get through their backlog.

Horrible service.

• Members

When using two lower screws, you automatically tighten upper two due to angled force which is pulling device's back side down, thus "tightening" the upper two holes. When using just upper two screws, you haven't made anything. You will just damage / bend the front side of the device.

Guest Anonymous

When using two lower screws, you automatically tighten upper two due to angled force which is pulling device's back side down, thus "tightening" the upper two holes. When using just upper two screws, you haven't made anything. You will just damage / bend the front side of the device.

Thank u Don.

• Members

Hey Don, What kind of preamp are you using for your turntable?

I will buy Jensen transformers (directly from the company) and build a stereo DI box. That way will be able to connect turntable to Mackie CR1640 mic input. More desperately i need that DI box for Oberheim OB-8 which is way too silent for standard "Line" inputs.

(thinking.... hmmm... isn't turntable's output impedance already for the mic inputs?)

• Members

Speaking of preamps. I completely forgot. I bought this from clusterchord:

tubemg8.jpg

It is a tube based stereo preamp that has fine adjustments for the gain / saturation. Being a Gearslut, he put some high quality tubes from the 60's inside. :lol: Can be drawn into distortion area too if needed. Has impedance switch which alters the sound color. I've been playing SH-101 through this... mmmmm... sounds like a cream.

• Members

sp1200_f.GIF

Pic from the web...

Only issue is I need a OS disk... Seller didn't drop one with it. Maybe he is trying to hide a messed up machine.... or a bad disk drive...

I almost went with a Machinedrum II UW, but since I've never toyed with one and this does what I want, I went for this.

Guest Anonymous

I will buy Jensen transformers (directly from the company) and build a stereo DI box. That way will be able to connect turntable to Mackie CR1640 mic input. More desperately i need that DI box for Oberheim OB-8 which is way too silent for standard "Line" inputs.

(thinking.... hmmm... isn't turntable's output impedance already for the mic inputs?)

The impedance is important but, it's the RIAA network you have to also get right. You have to reverse the frequency cuts that were done when the record was cut. You could buy an old RCA tube reference book and build a tube pre.

I used to love diy and did it for years but, these days I enjoy writing music more. I still have cases of tubes and oil filled Sprague Vitamin Q caps in the basement and probably need to sell them or wat and let the price keep going up. I miss the days of cheap tube gear and parts at HAMM and Antique Radio shows

:cry:

Archived