December New Gear Thread

Don Solaris

Guest Anonymous
sp1200_f.GIF

Pic from the web...

Only issue is I need a OS disk... Seller didn't drop one with it. Maybe he is trying to hide a messed up machine.... or a bad disk drive...

I almost went with a Machinedrum II UW, but since I've never toyed with one and this does what I want, I went for this.

That's a 12 bit beauty. I plan on getting a E-max to give me some wanna be SP-1200 sounds.

:facepalm:

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's a 12 bit beauty. I plan on getting a E-max to give me some wanna be SP-1200 sounds.

:facepalm:

I always thought the Emax was 8 bit. Not sure about the sp1200 though.

Edit: I found the info, the emax is storing samples in 8 bit but samples and plays back in 12 bit. Similar to the PPG wave 2.3 I guess.

Guest Anonymous
I always thought the Emax was 8 bit. Not sure about the sp1200 though.

Here is a quote about the Emax from Sonicstate and one of the reasons I called it a wanna be SP1200.

:thu:

As far as I know the Emax samples at 12 bit but this is then companded into 8 bits for storage (like with the Emulator 2) - maximum sample rate was 42 kHz.
The SP12/1200 is true 12-bit sampling. If anything the EMAX should sound even more "raw".

There are four variations on the original Emax Mk1:

Emax, Emax HD, Emax SE HD and Emax SE Plus. (HD = 20Mb Hard Disk, SE = Synthesis Enhanced).

The SE Plus did not have a hard disk, the "plus" signified that it had an external SCSI connector (The Emax HD also has an external SCSI connector - the D-type connector on the normal Emax was an RS422 port).

Options were the SE operating system upgrade for non SE models and SCSI for non HD and "Plus" models (I guess the SCSI connector would replace the RS422 but am not sure).

There were no memory expansion options - all Emax Mk1's had 512k RAM.

The Emax II's filters are very nice (Haven't done an A/B comparison with the Mk1 though).

As far as I know the Emax samples at 12 bit but this is then companded into 8 bits for storage (like with the Emulator 2) - maximum sample rate was 42 kHz.
The SP12/1200 is true 12-bit sampling. If anything the EMAX should sound even more "raw".

Emax, Emax HD, Emax SE HD and Emax SE Plus. (HD = 20Mb Hard Disk, SE = Synthesis Enhanced).

The SE Plus did not have a hard disk, the "plus" signified that it had an external SCSI connector (The Emax HD also has an external SCSI connector - the D-type connector on the normal Emax was an RS422 port).

Options were the SE operating system upgrade for non SE models and SCSI for non HD and "Plus" models (I guess the SCSI connector would replace the RS422 but am not sure).

The Emax II's filters are very nice (Haven't done an A/B comparison with the Mk1 though).

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth_reviews/_inc/user_comments.cfm?id=261&p=26

Guest Anonymous
Speaking of preamps. I completely forgot. I bought this from clusterchord:

tubemg8.jpg

It is a tube based stereo preamp that has fine adjustments for the gain / saturation. Being a Gearslut, he put some high quality tubes from the 60's inside.
:lol:
Can be drawn into distortion area too if needed. Has impedance switch which alters the sound color. I've been playing SH-101 through this... mmmmm... sounds like a cream.

What brand of 12AX7 tubes are in it now? Amperex tubes are nice and RCA black plates are what Fender used back in the day. One of the highest output and most open high end tubes I have used is the Telefunken 12AX7 tubes and is one of my favorites in preamps and guitar amps. Here is a company that reissued them. I have used the original Telefunkens and these and they both sound great.

http://thetubestore.com/12ax7.html

• Members

What brand of 12AX7 tubes are in it now? Amperex tubes are nice and RCA black plates are what Fender used back in the day. One of the highest output and most open high end tubes I have used is the Telefunken 12AX7 tubes and is one of my favorites in pre amps and guitar amps. Here is a company that reissued them. I have used the original Telefunkens and these and they both sound great.

I was looking at a reel to reel the other day for re-amping/color.

I record through a Soundcraft to a Mackie 400f/Nuendo,I was looking for something that might add to my analog recording path and running VSTi"s through it.

This might be a better and more economical choice with Telefunken or Mullard tube replacements.

Opinions?

Guest Anonymous

So the question to ask is if you sample into a Emax and immediately replay the sound to record it or sample into another sampler is the sound 12 bit or compressed to 8 bits and then decompressed to 12bits?

• Members

Here is a quote about the Emax from Sonicstate and one of the reasons I called it a wanna be SP1200.

Yep, I found it too. I still have an Emax sitting around but haven't done anything with for a long time. I am using the MPC-60 for low-fi sampling.

• Members

So the question to ask is if you sample into a Emax and immediately replay the sound to record it or sample into another sampler is the sound 12 bit or compressed to 8 bits and then decompressed to 12bits?

I don't quite understand how you make a 12 bit sound out of 8 bit storage sound. I know that they were using an algorithm that detects low and high frequency sounds and use something like a sample frequency adjustment to catch more samples for the higher frequencies and less for the lower frequencies. However, the bandwidth would be 8 bit whatever they do. They might improve upon a straight 8 bit sampler (Mirage) due to the dynamic sampling rate thingy, but it would be still 8 bit to me.

Guest Anonymous
I was looking at a reel to reel the other day for re-amping/color.

I record through a Soundcraft to a Mackie 400f/Nuendo,I was looking for something that might add to my analog recording path and running VSTi"s through it.

This might be a better and more economical choice with Telefunken or Mullard tube replacements.

Opinions?

The reel to reel to get is a Ampex 350. These have great mic pre's in them.

ampex350ys8.jpg

Amperex and Mullard tubes both have a nice mellow sound to them. Telefunkens have a large plate that is either smooth or ripped and have a brighter sound. The USA made GE, Phillips, Sylvania and RCA tubes are more like the former with the RCA black plates probably being the mellowest of these four.

Guest Anonymous
I still have an Emax sitting around but haven't done anything with for a long time.

Send that bitch to me and I'll put it to good use. Need some old tubes? :D

• Members

It's got a emax SEHD in it's family.... but untill I have as os disk to boot it's an expensive 12 bit door stop..

If you buy one of their disks you might get lucky. From the page:

Need a SP1200 Operating System Disk? No Problem! All of our SP1200 floppy disks have the OS System included on the disk. Just load and play!

$10. :idk:

(no affiliation, just trying to help)

EDIT:

You might try these folks who sell replacement drives. I have no idea if they have OS floppies, but the emulatorarchive.com links to them, saying:

Other web sites now provide support so if you need OS diskettes or floppy drives please try:
www.route66studios.com

(again, no affiliation)

• Members
Bought one of these so I can run stuff though my API 512's without the pad switches on and to have the correct impedance. Big dollar direct box but, it does have Jensen transformers in it.

:love:

duplexsliceyu6.jpg

Pure class, burster1 - it doesn't get any better for a passive DI, IME. I love it.

cheers,
Ian

• Members

What do you recommend re: the Rolands? Do they need 1U either side of them?

Either that, or alternate them in the rack with gear that is not deep such that their longer cases are more exposed, allowing for better radiant dispersion.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

QUOTE=aeon;31569957]Either that, or alternate them in the rack with gear that is not deep such that their longer cases are more exposed, allowing for better radiant dispersion.

cheers,
Ian

Cheers. Its a shame, they look so pretty together :love:

• Members

It must be something about this era of Roland rack units. My S-760 gets VERY HOT. Eventually the LCD started losing rows, I assume from being baked, so I ordered a replacement from Roland. While I was installing it, I noticed that a voltage regulator is bolted to the front panel, using it as a heat sink! No wonder it gets so hot!

One of those projects I want to do someday when I have too much time on my hands is to move the regulator to the back with an external heat sink.

Archived