December New Gear Thread

Don Solaris

• Members

technicssl120bz9.jpg

A friend from the office gave it to me for $100. He decided he no longer needs it. I also got a high quality Ortofon cartridge (needle) with it. Now to get some vintage records so that i can dust off my Roland S-550. I prefer its 12bit lo/fi sound for loops way more than S-3000XL.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My wife got me an Apple TV unit for my birthday last week. Very cool - not without a few techno-glitches - but I now have my entire music and video library, as well as my iPhoto library available downstairs on my home theater system. Syncs up wirelessly with my iMac upstairs, has direct access to the iTunes store, as well as a YouTube interface for watching videos on your TV. A handy little gadget it is, although pricey.

apple-tv-hacked-to-enable-usb.jpg

• Members

I meant "itty-bitty" as in it doesn't need near as much room as the books it replaces.

The screen is remarkably readable, too. It could still stand to have a bit more contrast, though. We also had the first generation Reader, and it's screen is noticibly darker than the new one.

ANYWAY: New gear!

I got nothin'.

• Members

I ordered one of these:

176570.jpg

So I can have my three keyboards actually in reach of both my hands... The Triton is to far away right now...

I sold one of these week ago. It just didn't worked for me. Lower keyboard is too low and it perturbs your legs, so you can't sit without hitting the lower keyboard, upper is too high so you must stand all the time + and overall look is archaic. BTW that picture is totally fake. If you would actually put keyboards there, they would be literally on top of each other thus impossible to program and play. Distance must be much greater for any useful work, so you end up in what's just explained. (trust me, you'll remember this post...)

I decided to go the other way: stand for 2 keyboards, ultra comfort, invisible = totally inspiring to work. Plus, you can actually sit in front of it and have a lot of place for legs. Of course, it's the double Z stand.

• Members

I'll second what Don said about 3-tiers and sitting. The top-level keys have to be put too high to be comfortable to play long-term while seated. I have a 3-tier Standtastic that's folded-up in the corner for this reason.

If, though, you play while standing, then it should be more comfortable.

Archived