• Members

Bought this for $10:

01.jpg

To use it with this:

00.jpg

Some of you remember me using monochrome output from the S-550:

05.jpg

But it's really not comfortable to work with, even with maxed out contrast. :(

So i connected the Commodore 1084S monitor to S-550 and....

...it didn't worked. :( TTL standard is different. So i had to design a small device that will invert horizontal and vertical synchronization. I found a schematic for the "Roland" adapter cable, but it turned out to be wrong and had to modify it a little bit. In the end i came up with this (which also serves as a connector converter S-550 DIN -> SUB9 monitor):

02.jpg

03.jpg

kind of messy....

But now it works!

04.jpg

Vintage! Vintage!

Haha! Happy like a kid! icon7.gif

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is it able to do very bright, high contrast, with variable font sizes? I've been thinking about one of these types of devices for my dad who has very bad eyesight and needs a ton of brightness (a ton).

The PRS-505 (that we're talking about) isn't backlit, but does do S/M/L fonts. There's a PRS-700 for $100 more that is backlit, and has a touch screen.

• Members
Oh, I forgot to mention, my wife bought me one of these yesterday. I like it so far!

30uygpj.jpg

I've been on the edge of buying either the Sony Reader or the Kindle. I work in Publishing so it will be a tool of trade for me. I'm leaning toward the Sony because of price but the Kindle has me intrigued over it's convenience. ... Decisions.

December is a tight month... so all I can afford this month is this.

p45399h-068c2734be3f078ed017880332391141

• Members

Got one of these on the way:

444001.jpg

Had a Musician's Friend coupon code for last weekend that gave me 20% off the purchase of a gift certificate. Bought a $250 certificate for $200, and then used the Black Friday coupon code to get $30 off a purchase of $250 or more. A few boring filler items (cheap dynamic mic, headphone extension cable, short XLR cable) and voila! $280 worth of gear for $200.

And thanks to Native Instruments' generosity, I'll be able to register the Audio Kontrol 1 and get...

447909.jpg

:)

• Members

OUtstanding, Don!! :thu:

I am very fond of Roland S-series samplers (still use my 20 year old W-30 - eventually I'd like to get more like the 550 and 770). Like all hardware samplers, they are slow to use and take a lot of space, but... the sound... I still have the S-760 also on tap because of the splendid Roland library -

Now if I could only find a cd-rom scsi drive that works with my scsi-'ed W-30, I would be very happy. I tried three different ones and nothing works... I have the original, rare Roland CD-ROM library and could never hear it! :(

• Members
My wife got me an Apple TV unit for my birthday last week. Very cool - not without a few techno-glitches - but I now have my entire music and video library, as well as my iPhoto library available downstairs on my home theater system. Syncs up wirelessly with my iMac upstairs, has direct access to the iTunes store, as well as a YouTube interface for watching videos on your TV. A handy little gadget it is, although pricey.

apple-tv-hacked-to-enable-usb.jpg

Wow, I had not realized they updated it in such a manner. I must buy.

• Members
My wife got me an Apple TV unit for my birthday last week. Very cool - not without a few techno-glitches - but I now have my entire music and video library, as well as my iPhoto library available downstairs on my home theater system. Syncs up wirelessly with my iMac upstairs, has direct access to the iTunes store, as well as a YouTube interface for watching videos on your TV. A handy little gadget it is, although pricey.

apple-tv-hacked-to-enable-usb.jpg

If you install the Boxee front end you can watch Hulu content on this, too!
http://www.boxee.tv/

• Members
have you checked
SCSI for Samplers
?

Oh yes. In fact, a few years ago I bought a CD-ROM player from them, because they assured me it would work with the W-30. It didn't. They refunded my money and all, and took off the W-30 from their list of supported samplers.

I was looking at one of the main W-30 sites, and it looks like the only cd-rom players that work are made by Sony and very hard to find (I check eBay regularly).

A few years ago I even managed to get the original Roland scsi CD-ROM player, but it was broken internally, and the part is not made anymore - but it came with the Roland CD-ROM that I'm speaking of... state of the art sounds in the late '80s.... if I could load them! :(

• Members

Paolo:

Does the W-30 work with a SCSI HD? If so, you might be able to bitcopy the CD-ROM to the HD, then connect the HD to the W-30.

I've done that kinda thing with a Roland DJ-70mkII in the past.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

Guess I got really lucky. I bought this old beat-up looking scsi cd-rom player from what looked like a junk pile at a local computer fair. I think I paid $12 or $15 for it (can't remember).
I eventually got it hooked up to my xv-5080, because I wanted to hear the roland cd sounds. It worked.
If I remember right, the hard part was finding the right cable.
The cd rom sounds, sound so much better than the stock rom sounds in the 5080, but there aren't a whole lot of them on the cd's.

• Members

I would have had a Blofeld, but it wasn't in the box (although it was on the packing list). I called MF, and they said they would have to file a "missing items report" which would take at least a couple of days to sort out.

WTF is up with that? I told them I wanted them to send me a replacement immediately, and they absolutely refused.

Frustrated!

Archived