Seems like everyone is selling their Fender Twin...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Only 63 lbs?

The fender site says 64 lbs for the reissue, and the loading dock at my work said 63. Peopke that are actually using the handle on the top of the amp, instead of picking it up like you would an oversized box, are the ones that think its heavy. Don't get me wrong, its a bit inconvenient to move, but its far from unbearable. Unless you have a back issue.

• Members

I could be wrong, but I think some silverface twins had a master volume. If I'm wrong, then the ones I've seen all had mods.

From what I've gathered on the netz, the master volume was added in the mid 70s. There are threads about removing or replacing the master volume, so apparently some prefer it and some dont. I'd like to know the pros and cons.

• Members

The MV was added around 73' IIRC... The drip edge went bye bye too.. I believe this is when the wattage jumped to about 100watts and later up to 135 watts in 78'.. I could be a little fuzzy on the dates but i know i'm close :)

Please tell me more about this " master volume". Is this a volume section that controls the power amp section as opposed to the preamp?

Which Twins have this, or is it just a mod?

• Members

The fender site says 64 lbs for the reissue, and the loading dock at my work said 63. Peopke that are actually using the handle on the top of the amp, instead of picking it up like you would an oversized box, are the ones that think its heavy. Don't get me wrong, its a bit inconvenient to move, but its far from unbearable. Unless you have a back issue.

It seems thats the case with people who complain about the heaviness of amps.

If your trying to carry a twin (or in my case a VT22 which is heavier) with just the handle at the top, then it will seem much heavier than it is.

Plus you then have the added stress of wondering when that little strap will break.

• Members

I just got a vt-22 so I'm set but I have noticing more SF twins for sale at around $500...

Yeah there are a couple for $500 in my area actually.

I'm tempted but I think I'd rather have a Super Reverb instead.

I've had Fender GAS since my Bassman was stolen a while back.

• Members
That's a much more useable amp for the vast majority of players than a Twin is IMO. Twins are indeed great amps, but "too much amp" for a lot of people. Realistically, most people never get the things out of idle.
:lol:

If I had a good (non-Ultra Linear) Pro Reverb, I wouldn't want to sell it either.
:)

What is a non-Ultra Linear Pro-reverb? Honestly, I bought this thing at the beginning of the summer and I know very little about it.

• Members

It seems thats the case with people who complain about the heaviness of amps.

If your trying to carry a twin (or in my case a VT22 which is heavier) with just the handle at the top, then it will seem much heavier than it is.

Plus you then have the added stress of wondering when that little strap will break.

Yep, same with my v4. It's always a chuckle to ask people to move it

• Members

Impraticality be damned; I'll never get rid of my Twin. I record more than I perform live, and if you ever have the opportunity, plug in a humbucker equipped guitar--preferably a semi hollow--turn the treble and mids to 6 or 7, the bass to 3 or 4, and the volume to 5 or 6. Tune the reverb and trem to taste, and experience the richest, fullest sound.

• Members

Impraticality be damned; I'll never get rid of my Twin. I record more than I perform live, and if you ever have the opportunity, plug in a humbucker equipped guitar--preferably a semi hollow--turn the treble and mids to 6 or 7, the bass to 3 or 4, and the volume to 5 or 6. Tune the reverb and trem to taste, and experience the richest, fullest sound.

I have experienced that exact sound. Totally cosmic

• Members

i've had my twin listed on cl for a few weeks now for $650, got an offer for $500; seems that's what they're worth. i think i'll hang on to it.

Wow, $650 would seem like a steal to me. I wouldn't have the balls to offer $500. Looks like maybe its time I pick up a Twin Reverb.

• Members

I was thinking of getting a TRRI but i ended up getting the DRRI. All the gigs i play i can mic it if i want cleans, i don't often!

When i play Jazz its normally with an unmic'd acoustic piano, so i have to keep the volume down anyway.

If i was a touring musician playing large venues and had a few pedals, i would be all over a Twin Reverb, i played this guy Dan Luscombe's (touring musician in Australia with Paul Kelly, The Drones (who are my favourite Aussie band look em up!)) Silverface Reverb and it sounded amazing with my dirt pedals at the time (an OD-3 and a Sovtek Muff).

• Members

I own a 74 twin. Its my only amp and it takes pedals really well. I pulled two of the power tubes to cut the power in half. It helps a lot. I run the volume around 4 and the master volume around 6. Its still really loud but not as bad as going full power. I wont ever sell this amp. It belonged to my dad before me, however I would love to get a Deluxe reverb and a Princeton for smaller gigs and home. The twin is really heavy. I play at church, I just leave it there so I don't have to move it around all the time. But the road case helps when moving it around. over all great amp, but I plan on buying a smaller version someday soon i hope.

• Members

Only 63 lbs?

My 70s silverface is closer to 86lbs, I know this because it weighs almost as much as my vt22 and that is 88lbs with out the casters and tilt backs it has

As for my twin I have thought about selling it, not because I dislike it but because I want something new..... However I will likely keep it

• Members

I sold my Twin Reverb last winter to get a Deluxe Reverb. It was my main gigging amp for 10 years, but I quit using it when I got an AC30H2. The Twin just had too much headroom for most of my gigs. If I ever need that much clean power, I think I'd rather have a Showman.

Archived