recording direct to computer problem...

echodeluxe

• Members

so, im putting together a holiday acoustic ep, and i was just gonna record straight into my soundcard using audacity.

im recording with an audix om-2 with an xlr to mono 1/8" cable into the mic input on the back of my pc. the only problem is that i have this high pitched whine behind every recording. its bugging me because ive tried both mic inputs, rerouting my device input and all that {censored} and nothing has helped. noise reduction in the program just makes the track quieter but doesnt help.

i dont have an interface and can absolutely no way afford one right now. the whole point was to do this super diy with like minimum {censored} and im bummed cuz its not working right uuuggghhh

any tips or help? also, is there a better easier program i could be using? no i dont have a mac or access to one.

thanks.

• Members

Unless you're using a converter transformer then you're bound to run into problems. The impedance doesn't match. The mic signal is balanced and the sound card mic input is unbalanced. The sound card mic input also likely has a bias power supply for condenser button mics, since that's what those inputs are designed for.

Drag your lazy ass over here. I've got a little Mackie 1202 you can borrow that has XLR ins and line outs. Use the line in on the sound card. Make sure you return it or I'll hunt you down...

• Members

Unless you're using a converter transformer then you're bound to run into problems. The impedance doesn't match. The mic signal is balanced and the sound card mic input is unbalanced. The sound card mic input also likely has a bias power supply for condenser button mics, since that's what those inputs are designed for.

Drag your lazy ass over here. I've got a little Mackie 1202 you can borrow that has XLR ins and line outs. Use the line in on the sound card. Make sure you return it or I'll hunt you down...

The Mackie 1202 looks very similar to the Behringer mixer I used to run into my line in. I had great results, I suggest you take this man up Chris!

If you can boost the signal and go to line input, should be better.

Yup - do you have an outboard mic preamp? If so, feed the mic to that mic preamp, then the line out of the mic pre into the line in on the sound card - I pretty much guarantee you'll get better results.

It doesn't have to be a dedicated "mic preamp" - it could be a small mixer, etc. Just something to preamp that signal so you can avoid the gawd-awful "mic pre" inside that sound card.

Archived