Past/present college dudes

OMTerria

• Members

Since you have the credits in a 4 year college, go get an electrical engineering degree with a computers minor and get in an internship when possible and do well so you can get hired--- then builld pedals in your spare time

Psych to EE? That'd be the first time I would have ever seen that, usually it's the opposite :lol:.

my favorite typical freshman engineering quote: "Calculus is so hard! I don't see when I'll ever even use it! " :facepalm:

• Members

Same boat - Was a chem major for 2.5 years at PSU. It was an incredibly boring focus because there was no application of the material. Had to take a class where a guy from Food Science came in and gave a presentation on ice cream physics. Switched majors right then and there and only had to stay an extra semester. The major from PSU has 100% job placement 3 months after grad with an average starting salary of 45k. I ended up moving across the country to California to get my Masters here at UC Davis instead of going right into the working world. Tuition paid + a stipend for my Masters.

So far, very pleased with my choice.

• Members

Psych to EE? That'd be the first time I would have ever seen that, usually it's the opposite
:lol:

my favorite typical freshman engineering quote: "Calculus is so hard! I don't see when I'll ever even use it! "
:facepalm:

Calc is easier than figuring out who to stop a teenager from being suicidal :wave:

• Members

Haha well thanks. Is it much different over the pond?

As far as I understand switching courses is very easy if the classes you've already taken are similar enough (e.g. I met someone on saturday who's decided to leave interior design and move into architecture but luckily a lot of the work was architecture so that should be fine). However, we don't have all this Major/Minor thing as far as I'm aware so it's a bit different here but I'm pretty sure they're unwilling to let you transfer unless you have a solid footing in the subject.

I had more to say but then my laptop overheated and powered off, now I forgot where I was going with this.

• Members

eh I say get out as quickly as you can. If there's anything you're interested in take the classes for that but don't worry if it doesn't lead to a degree. Another year you figure between tuition and lost income you're dropping at least $100K, you could be spending that on a graduate degree... and with the neverending cycle of credential inflation going on a Bachelor's isn't really worth all that much anymore. That's unless you've found something you actually like, then do what you have to do.

And for goodness' sake, don't listen to those godawful advisors. {censored}ing parasites, don't know anything about anything, and unless you have a >3.5 GPA they look at you like a pile of dog crap unqualified to wipe your own ass. Let the hirers and grad school admissions committees decide if you're good enough for the position, not some weenie loser who took a cushy nothing job just so they could get regular pay and nice benefits.

• Members

Switch. As long as it's not because "this major will pay more".

Besides, I always think that humanitarian stuff you can more or less read up, and technical stuff can be nearly impossible to get through without someone explaining it to you.

I'd suggest waiting for a month or so, not thinking too hard about switching - it'll help you realize the reasons for you desire to switch better, imo (worked for me, I was in a similar situation).

• Members

Do you have any specific job in mind with your psych degree? Because if it's counseling/advising/development based and you don't have a passion for it, don't follow through and switch now. I'm a psych major currently and the only reason I am is because I've wanted to work in either the industrial/organizational or research field for as long as I can remember, but I would hate normal one on one counseling or anything like that as a career. Then again I'm also double majoring in business for better job placement in the I/O field, and it also opens up other opportunities for me in the corporate world. Eventually I hope to get a PhD in social psych beyond that anyway.

Soooo yeah, look for some specific jobs of what you could do with your degree (I recommend looking into I/O, competitive but good pay and positions from everyone I've talked to in the field), if you want a medical route that isn't psychiatric based look into neuroscience. If none of that interests you, and neither does teaching, psych probably isn't for you.

• Members

Do you have any specific job in mind with your psych degree? Because if it's counseling/advising/development based and you don't have a passion for it, don't follow through and switch now. I'm a
freshman

fixed. But fo realz, good advice.

• Members

I you don't enjoy what you're studying now, then change your major - there's no point in getting a degree in something you don't enjoy (especially Psych). If you don't know what to change to, you might want to consider switching to something like general studies or liberal arts for a little while so you can take a bunch of different classes and see what you like.

Archived