Past/present college dudes

OMTerria

• Members

I'm kinda bummed out. I've done a bunch of classes toward my psych major, and while I think it's interesting it's really not doing it for me. I feel like I'd be happier an more fulfilled if I switched it up, but that means a good bit of wasted time, effort, and money and I'm not sure if it's worth it. Have any of y'all experienced anything similar? What do you think is the right decision?

• Members

How far along are you? If you're a senior, stick it out....with a Psych major you can go into any job anyway. Its sort of a "catch all" degree.

If you're a Freshman or Sophmore, go ahead and change majors.

And go see an advisor, they can let you know if any of your psych classes can count towards a new major.

• Members

Go with your gut, always.

Agreed. I'd recommend seeing how many of your credits apply to other majors. You may lose a few classes doing this but it's better to make those up in a major you'll enjoy than be stuck on a career path you don't see yourself liking. I spent an extra semester in college after changing majors after my freshman year and I couldn't be happier with what I'm doing.

• Members

Agreed. I'd recommend seeing how many of your credits apply to other majors. You may lose a few classes doing this but it's better to make those up in a major you'll enjoy than be stuck on a career path you don't see yourself liking. I spent an extra semester in college after changing majors after my freshman year and I couldn't be happier with what I'm doing.

I don't think any of mine would transfer well, but I'd be pretty well and covered in the upper and lower level electives area

• Members

I was bored with my major and switched after two years to another major in the same school for similar reasons. It didn't help or hurt my job prospects one way or the other, but it added another year of school. If you can afford it and aren't in a hurry to graduate, it might not be a bad idea.

What are you considering switching your major to?

• Members

Remember, something like 75% of people get a job outside their degree.

ESPECIALLY with Psychology...you can't do {censored} in the Psych field with just a psych undergrad degree...you have to get a masters/doc degree. Like I said....pysch is a catch all degree....I know people with psych degrees who are in sales, marketing, tech, IT, business, etc.

Most people who have careers in their degree field are engineers, nurses, IT. This all applies to undergrad of course....

• Members

I was/am in a similar situation. I'm a junior and switched from my Poli Sci degree path to a Computer Information Systems major. After one semester, I think I just needed a break from Poli Sci, because I am ready to switch back. So maybe you just need a break from Psych classes? Take some electives next semester and see if you can find something else you like. I wish I had done that with CIS prior to switching my major and having to take freaking Econ.

• Members

I'm kinda bummed out. I've done a bunch of classes toward my psych major, and while I think it's interesting it's really not doing it for me. I feel like I'd be happier an more fulfilled if I switched it up, but that means a good bit of wasted time, effort, and money and I'm not sure if it's worth it. Have any of y'all experienced anything similar? What do you think is the right decision?

work backwards----

where do you want to live?

how much will it take for that lifestyle?

what jobs are there that you want to do for the next 40 years to get money?

what education/path/experience do you need to get that job?

its not hard, yet people dont think this way

PS- Im a psychotherapist, and you need at least a master's to do anything great.

• Members

If you're burnt out on Psychology, you might look and see if there are any other classes that might qualify as Psych classes (some classes are interdisciplinary--Anthropology, Sociology, and Humanities shared a few classes at my school if I remember correctly).

• Members

work backwards----

where do you want to live?

how much will it take for that lifestyle?

what jobs are there that you want to do for the next 40 years to get money?

what education/path/experience do you need to get that job?

its not hard, yet people dont think this way

PS- Im a psychotherapist, and you need at least a master's to do anything great.

I don't really know/care where I'd like to live. I'd like to be making ~$40-50k though at least

• Members

If you're burnt out on Psychology, you might look and see if there are any other classes that might qualify as Psych classes (some classes are interdisciplinary--Anthropology, Sociology, and Humanities shared a few classes at my school if I remember correctly).

I've actually checked this out, and it really doesn't work well that way at my school in regards to psychology. None of their classes count for our stuff, but out classes can count for theirs :lol:

• Members

I don't know what your means are, but here are some thoughts: Finishing with ANY degree is better than not finishing. But finishing with a degree in something you love is a whole lot more satisfying than just finishing with a degree in SOMETHING.

If you can afford to study what you love and spend the extra time then you should do it. If you cannot, then try to finish. You'll always be a college graduate and they can't take that away from you.

• Members

I'm not really sure, I have a lot of interests. I've wanted to do the teaching thing for some time though, so perhaps education

I don't really know/care where I'd like to live. I'd like to be making ~$40-50k though at least

I'm not here to solve your issue, I just gave you the recipe... get cooking son...

• Members

I'm not really sure, I have a lot of interests. I've wanted to do the teaching thing for some time though, so perhaps education

I don't know what it's like where you are, but teaching jobs here are nearly impossible to come by and they've laid off thousands of teachers in this area during the past year. I don't mean to discourage you from wanting to teach as it is a noble profession, but you might have an extremely difficult time finding a teaching position.

• Members

If you don't know what you want to do with a degree, consider getting a liberal arts degree, as it may be the quickest way to graduate at this point, and still allow you to sample several other areas. But if you have more concrete plans or specific academic interests go with those. I wouldn't recommend languishing in undergrad land. Better to finish that, and if you have further academic interest, go to grad school.

• Members

I was in the same boat as you...going for a psych degree and about 3 years in, decided it wasn't for me. But I stuck it out because I was so close and figured it would lead somewhere. Fast forward about 20 years, and I'm back in school pursuing a music degree (which my heart wanted to do way back then, but my head ruled that it wasn't "practical"...), only this time I've got a mortage, a (fully supportive) wife, and two kids to deal with as well...Wish I'd made that decision way back then.

• Members

As said above, you really can't do anything w/ just a BA in psych. So you'd need to get a masters in some type of psych or social work if you wanted to work in the field professionally. So if it's not an area you're interested in, and you have an idea of a different degree, you may as well spend the money toward the new degree rather than finish up w/ something you don't want.

Archived