Played a Gibson Joe Bonamassa LP Studio yesterday.

Loobs

• Members

Through a Deluxe Reverb cranked right up. Man a LP into a cranked DR sounds {censored}ing amazing. The natural overdrive gave me a boner. Turn down for your cleans, wonderful. That's the sound right there. Great guitar btw! Sucks that it doesn't have binding on it though, and those different knobs are goofy as hell, but it's his model I guess.

Oh yeah, I also played a regular alpine white studio too. Didn't sound too great, didn't enjoy the pickups. Also the fretboard wasn't lined up properly on the neck, there was like a small lip on the left hand side where the board wasn't centred properly.

cheers,

BL

• Members

I think you'd like it. It seems like a great guitar for the money. Very nicely set up with the PLEK too. I'm searching for a killa LP, I'm tempted to order an Orville by Gibson Custom but I won't get to play it and that scares me.

• Members

I saw the Bonamassa Studio at a GC in Scottsdale AZ last week. It was behind a case though, so I didn't get to play it. Looks really nice. The lack of binding doesn't seem too bad on that model. Does the fretboard have binding? That's where it makes a bigger difference to me, in terms of feel.

I agree with Loobs on the less expensive '60s Studio models with the p-90s. I did play a couple of those, and felt wanting more, they just didn't feel that substantial to me, not sure why. I vastly prefer my Epi Tribute model to any of the lower end Gibson. I also played an Epi Traditional Pro LP, it has a non gloss neck and back - only the front is glossy. Also has split coil humbuckers, and binding. I actually preferred it in terms of feel and looks over the Gibson models. Even if you had to change out the pickups, a pretty good value at $499 or $549, forgot the price (minus some sort of savings/coupons I'm sure). There's an Epi Bonamassa model too, also seems like a killer guitar, very close to the Gibson model as I recall.

• Members

btw theres this Ben, a Bonamassa-type LP under $2K. It looks spectacular.

That does look really nice, really good price, for a Gibson I suppose. Headstock looks like a Custom.

You guys and the Epi headstocks make me want to punch y'all in the nads, but I won't cuz that ain't nice. Just get over it. I actually find the shape more interesting than the Gibson, and the Epi Custom headstocks look real nice. Quality of the Epi models seems better and more consistent than Gibson, unless you're over $2k on the Gibsons, and even though who knows.

Archived