Would you go to North Korea?

Loobs

• Members

I think it'd be fascinating and definitely unlike any other experience. You can travel there, albeit with certain difficulty, but given that the country is a police state where citizens go 'missing' if they defect, giving them any money is morally sketchy...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I watched a french/german documentary about Burma (Myanmar) recently. This country is the closest to North Korea in terms of dictatorship and they just started letting tourists in. Bizarre country, they don't have a stock exchange, they trade SIM cards for phones, making them raise as much as ten years wages. Also they don't take US dollar bills that have the slightest mark on them. In the 80s they had a currency where all bills and coins had values of 8 and multiples of it because it is a lucky number there. It took them 2 years to dump that practice because no one could pay stuff anymore. Also no one is allowed to stay overnight anywhere else than at home without the consent of a government employee.

• Members

Just because you go there, doesn't mean you're going to have anything bad happen. Of course you have to respect what they say and stick with your tour guide, but apart from that it seems safe. There's tons of blogs written by people who have travelled there. It's nothing like Beijing.

• Members

I love food. I adore food. I will eat pretty much anything. That said Korean Food is quite possibly one of the worst foods I have ever had. I dated a Korean girl for a while and I swear the {censored}ing awful food was a huge part of our demise.

So no. I would not want to go to NK based on cuisine alone.

• Members

I think pretty much the only way to go there is a guided tour where you're forking over your money to a totalitarian government for the privilege of walking around and saying "Oh man its so goofy and weird how these people's misery is constructed LOL can't wait to put pics up on flikr!"

so no...

• Members

Regardless of what blogs say about people that have traveled there, I refuse to disregard the accounts of all the terrible {censored} that has gone on there, and still goes on there. That being said, if I had a death wish, {censored} yes give me a ticket.

• Members

I think pretty much the only way to go there is a guided tour where you're forking over your money to a totalitarian government for the privilege of walking around and saying "Oh man its so goofy and weird how these people's misery is constructed LOL can't wait to put pics up on flikr!"

so no...

Exactly, it's like taking a trip to a zoo where the captive animals in the cages are people. {censored} supporting that.

Archived