Fripp fuzztone

Loobs

• Members

Fripp has said himself that any fuzz will do.

Old interview from the 70s:

......It suffices for what I want, which is not really a lot of echo effects but just a slight edge, because the sound on stage is very dead in a lot of halls I play in. It really doesn't matter what kind of fuzz box you use. It has more to do with the state of mind.

But if somebody wanted to obtain the same sound you got, wouldn't it be important to know what type of fuzz you were using?

No. I can get that same sound with every kind of fuzz box I've ever used. It's not a question of equipment.

If you want to get the right tonality for the sort of fluid lead lines he does, neck pickup and tone rolled all the way off, or nearly so. My Devi Ever Hyperion does the job very nicely, but I'd like to think anything Muff-ish might get you there.

• Members

Your post reminded me that I hadn't listened to any KC for a little while so I put on ...Poseidon. Listening to the unison riff section I was thinking "that's not that nasty. It might not even be a fuzz pedal". Then the fuzz kicked in under the vocal and I fully agreed with you.

That is a top track BTW. The intro riff is funky as hell, and I love the fast section with the guitar orchestration.

• Members

Your post reminded me that I hadn't listened to any KC for a little while so I put on ...Poseidon. Listening to the unison riff section I was thinking "that's not that nasty. It might not even be a fuzz pedal". Then the fuzz kicked in under the vocal and I fully agreed with you.

That is a top track BTW. The intro riff is funky as hell, and I love the fast section with the guitar orchestration.

Awesome isn't it. Came on shuffle this morning on my morning commute and I nearly messed myself.

• Members

Do it. I pretty much have everything I think.

How's the '90s - '00s stuff? I've got Court, Poseidon and Islands, then the 80s stuff- Discipline, Beat, Perfect Pair- and reckon the later '70s stuff has to be my next stop , but I've never heard any of the later stuff. Any good? IIRC you didn't rate the Scarcity of Miracles album...

• Members

How's the '90s - '00s stuff? I've got Court, Poseidon and Islands, then the 80s stuff- Discipline, Beat, Perfect Pair- and reckon the later '70s stuff has to be my next stop , but I've never heard any of the later stuff. Any good? IIRC you didn't rate the Scarcity of Miracles album...

get Red and Larks' Tongues in Aspic.

thanks me later.

• Members

Well, Scarcity of Miracles isn't really Crimson, more Fripp with some Crimson associates - Mel Collins, Jakko Jakszyk (who never was in Crimson). It all sounds a bit cheesy to me. You'd have to listen for yourself. It's not awful but it's very middle of the road especially compared to other KC stuff.

90s/00s stuff - I think Thrak, The Construkction of Light & Power to Believe all have some great stuff on them actually. Definitely worth listening to. Obviously slightly different and more modern sounding. Belew is on them all with Pat Mastelotto on drums. Bruford plays on Thrak (it's the double trio album).

I think Three of a Perfect Pair is their weakest album...

• Members

You have to have 'Starless & Bible Black'. I think it has Fripps' best composition, 'Fracture.' I've read that he said it is so difficult to play correctly that he still uses it as a practice exercise to this day. This album also has the beautiful song 'Trio' on it.

Archived