OCD v4 vs Barber LTD?

jccauseway

• Members

Hello:

There are a couple used pedals on sale, OCD v4 and a Barber LTD (non-silver) on craiglist. I would use the pedal as a slightly crunchy clean tone.

If it helps your analysis...I already have Barber Tone press and their Trifecta fuzz and a Zoom g3 for all grease applications and a Classic Peavey 50, 2*12.

Which would you suggest?

• Members

The best crunch pedal I have had and still do is the Danelctro Cool Cat Transparent Drive V1 which is now discontinued. I understand it is a clone of the Paul Cochrane 'Timmy' which I believe is available. If so I would check one of those out. I have been using this as an alternative to my amps o/d channel. It achieves a really nice crunch at very low gain levels. It really seems to do the hard driven power stage thing very well. There is a version 2 of this but I believe it is a bit different so I cant vouch for that. Check out the Timmy.

The other pedal I had which did a nice Marshall crunch was the MI Crunch Box. Its range is from lowish gain to very high gain.

• Members

My OCD is a do-it-all go to pedal, particularly when all other pedals fail, and most specifically when stacked with my TC Electronics Mojo Overdrive. Plus, my OCD sounds great with my Fender Princeton Reverb.

Having said that, I would think the LTD. would be tailor made to go with your existing pedal, so I would stick with Barber. Can't go wrong with any of their pedals. The LTD and the Tone Press should be a pretty sweet combo.

• Members

The best crunch pedal I have had and still do is the Danelctro Cool Cat Transparent Drive V1 which is now discontinued. I understand it is a clone of the Paul Cochrane 'Timmy' which I believe is available. If so I would check one of those out. I have been using this as an alternative to my amps o/d channel. It achieves a really nice crunch at very low gain levels. It really seems to do the hard driven power stage thing very well. There is a version 2 of this but I believe it is a bit different so I cant vouch for that. Check out the Timmy.

The other pedal I had which did a nice Marshall crunch was the MI Crunch Box. Its range is from lowish gain to very high gain.

I hate most of the gain sounds from my cto-1/timmy. I use it as an EQ shaper and/or boost, and use a direct drive (which is closer to the OCD in terms of tonal range) for overdrive; the latter I like a lot more with my amp than an OCD. In conclusion, barber.

• Members

I hate most of the gain sounds from my cto-1/timmy. I use it as an EQ shaper and/or boost, and use a direct drive (which is closer to the OCD in terms of tonal range) for overdrive; the latter I like a lot more with my amp than an OCD. In conclusion, barber.

Single or dual coil? What sort of amp set up?

Archived