So, what do you do when you find a pedal that sounds better than your amp dirt?

• Members

I borrowed a clone of a Dirty Bomb from a forumite, lowbrow.

[CSBCONTENT]The damn thing sounds better than the distortion from my Stiletto Deuce Stage II. The EQ is just so responsive and versatile. One of those pedals where all the way up on every knob is too much, and all the way down is not enough, does that make sense? Very usable eq/gain/volume sweep. Really rich and complex, makes me wonder if lowbrow did something special or if you guys are all just nuts for speinding crazy money on The Elements and Triple Wrecks when this thing is 99 bucks. :lol:

It's got so much gain on tap, it's ridiculous. My main tone is pretty high up there, like a goosed Marshall, and I only have the gain on this pedal at 9 o'clock. Same with the volume, just over half is a solid boost. All the way is just insane.[/CSBCONTENT]

So anyway, I just feel weird having spent years finding my perfect amp, and here some pedal comes and dethrones it.

So, talk to me about using only pedals for dirt. Was the switch weird? Did it bug you wasting your dirty channel? Did you eventually switch to a one channel head? What are some advantages/disadvantages of only using pedal dirt?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He can paint like a champ too. He does all sorts of stuff, this is the one I have (stolen from his fb, before the knobs. It now has purple knobs and purple led).

377946_292859230744537_100000613872449_1

That doesn't surprise me at all.

I'm not really a fan of amp dirt.

Yeah... kinda makes sense that I like the pedal more. I mean I prefer diodes to tube rectifiers. Perhaps 12AX7s are overrated. :idk:

• Members

I have this issue with my HM-2 & Ampeg SS-150. I LOVE how my HM-2 Sounds through the Ampeg's clean channel, but it sounds like ass through the overdrive channel. Its kind of a pain in the ass because I alternate between the overdriven channel and the HM-2 a lot, so I end up doing a bunch of tap dancing. I think I'm going to build up a True-Bypass looper with a 4pdt switch with the two (of three) spare lugs switching between channels.

• Members

get a SS amp and a dirt box and call it quits, some just like pedal gain!

my amps such a beast it needs no pedals, I have an AMT Fatal Tube which makes its clean channel sound almost as good as the ULTRA channel, but does jack {censored} in the ULTRA channel, and I hate batteries, so I just play straight in.

• Members

I have this issue with my HM-2 & Ampeg SS-150. I LOVE how my HM-2 Sounds through the Ampeg's clean channel, but it sounds like ass through the overdrive channel. Its kind of a pain in the ass because I alternate between the overdriven channel and the HM-2 a lot, so I end up doing a bunch of tap dancing. I think I'm going to build up a True-Bypass looper with a 4pdt switch with the two (of three) spare lugs switching between channels.

Hopefully that wouldn't happen as I'm pretty much replacing my gain channel. That's part of my mental block: wasting that dirty channel.

• Members

my amps such a beast it needs no pedals, I have an AMT Fatal Tube which makes its clean channel sound almost as good as the ULTRA channel, but does jack {censored} in the ULTRA channel, and I hate batteries, so I just play straight in.

Yeah, if I switched amps, I'd still go tube, but one channel. Maybe a Hiwatt.

• Members

That doesn't surprise me at all.

I'm not really a fan of amp dirt.

DSCF0063.jpg

3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

but all seriousness the elements absolutley kills my carvin legacy. The only thing that I like more is a properly ripped up plexi circuit, but that takes {censored}in loudness.

• Members

Nah, I like to get the output tubes cookin'. Preamp tubes, not so much.

And Pewt, those amps are super clean.

• Members

i was an amp dirt purist for many years. then i realized that that's {censored}ing stupid. pedal dirt through loud clean tube amps is the {censored}. and, you can get a whole different and awesome dirt sound by spending $50-200, instead of having to get another amp. i got rid of my stupid multi-channel heads and got some single channel monsters.

• Members

:idk:

I've yet to find a pedal as good as my amps' dirty channels. Don't get me wrong, there are some great sounding pedals (Elements, Dominator, Fetto, Providence, Skreddys) but nothing sounds like my Diezel, Orange or CAA.

When it comes to high gain I agree, there are no pedals that can take on the tight "metal" gain. Even the elements, while the best I've tried still does not hold up against my 6505 for metlul. but that has a lot to do with cabinets and power sections too.

those CAA amps are the tits.

Archived