just got laid

Operator

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

looking through the job classifieds is one of the most depressing things a dude has to go through.

i feel for you brother.

lemme know if you're gonna sell that velocette.

yeah, its terrible. the last couple times i looked through my paper's ads it was only bartender and car salesmen jobs. used to be all kinds of jobs, really messed up.

i hope you find a good job soon Operator. good luck, yo.

• Members

sorry to hear that man. although i must say i am quite jealous of my unemployed friends, they all seem to be living the life somehow while im stuck at work day in day out. dont understand how they afford to live but somehow they seem to be enjoying it :idk:

• Members
sorry to hear that man. although i must say i am quite jealous of my unemployed friends, they all seem to be living the life somehow while im stuck at work day in day out. dont understand how they afford to live but somehow they seem to be enjoying it
:idk:

it mustve been awhile since you didnt have a job. the only thing worse than having a job is not having a job.

• Members

I mopped a floor last night.

That college degree is really paying off, eh?

OP - sorry about the layoff, that sucks. Job hunting can be the most demoralizing thing in the world. I was laid off by a very large tech company in 2008 and it took me 18 months to find employment. Seems like the job market might be picking up a little though, so best of luck in landing somewhere quickly.

• Members

looking through the job classifieds is one of the most depressing things a dude has to go through.

i feel for you brother.

lemme know if you're gonna sell that velocette.

:lol: as soon as someone's in a tough financial situation I always wait for the post bringing up the selling of gear.

• Members

So sorry to hear that!

Try to keep busy. Set yourself up a list of tasks to do everyday, both for your household but also for your job hunt, and DO THEM!

Join LinkedIn and CareerBuilders. Don't waste your time with The Ladder--it's a waste of time and money.

Get your resume in order AND GET IT REVIEWED! You want the greatest and latest format.

If you just sit on your butt you'll get really depressed really quickly. Been there, done that.

• Members

If you just sit on your butt you'll get really depressed really quickly. Been there, done that.

This. The first two months or so were un-{censored}ing-believably depressing because all I did was sit and surf the internet and play guitar. In my case building pedals really helped out, as well as volunteering at the food bank & capitol building. Also, apply for Unemployment, it'll reduce a bit of the financial stress.

• Members

This. The first two months or so were un-{censored}ing-believably depressing because all I did was sit and surf the internet and play guitar. In my case building pedals really helped out, as well as volunteering at the food bank & capitol building. Also, apply for Unemployment, it'll reduce a bit of the financial stress.

I was sacked in April of 2009. I was TERRIFIED of what you went through so I immediately started list-making. I got MORE STUFF done around the house than you could believe, and I called and emailed everyone I knew, got resume advice. Spent at least two hours everyday surfing the Internet--for jobs and job networking. I only had a couple of days where I didn't do anything...and I got really depressed on those days. After over 4 months I found something.

• Members

I was sacked in April of 2009. I was TERRIFIED of what you went through so I immediately started list-making. I got MORE STUFF done around the house than you could believe, and I called and emailed everyone I knew, got resume advice. Spent at least two hours everyday surfing the Internet--for jobs and job networking. I only had a couple of days where I didn't do anything...and I got really depressed on those days. After over 4 months I found something.

It is super important to treat unemployment the same way you treat employment. Which means you work 8 hours a day 5 days a week searching for jobs.

• Members

It is super important to treat unemployment the same way you treat employment. Which means you work 8 hours a day 5 days a week searching for jobs.

Great in theory, but horribly exhausting, and, usually not effective. Most people will burn out in a few weeks. You may have exhausted every resource available in an hour, or two. Some days it WILL be all day. But you are right that you have to do it everyday. However, every task you take on for your home is one you don't have to pay for. Stuff we were going to pay for having fixed I did, sometimes saving as much as a grand.

You must stay busy and have a purpose when the Job- hunting is done for the day.

• Members
Great in theory, but horribly exhausting, and, usually not effective. Most people will burn out in a few weeks. You may have exhausted every resource available in an hour, or two. Some days it WILL be all day. But you are right that you have to do it everyday. However, every task you take on for your home is one you don't have to pay for. Stuff we were going to pay for having fixed I did, sometimes saving as much as a grand.

You must stay busy and have a purpose when the Job- hunting is done for the day.

:idk: It always worked for me. Pounding the pavement always helped me improve my communication with potential employers and gets that confidence going.

• Members

Very important. Alaska's UE policy is that you have to apply to three jobs a week. If you get audited and you're not doing that, you basically owe them a lot, if not all of your past UE benefits. 3 Jobs a week isn't so bad anyways, and I have a job lined up in Denali starting in mid April, plus tax return = smooth sailing at least until October.

• Members

:idk:
It always worked for me. Pounding the pavement always helped me improve my communication with potential employers and gets that confidence going.

Oh, you have to stick with it, but in the business I was in, just showing up at someone's door was an automatic ticket to "NFW!" You have to have them WANT to meet you. Go to every job fair, and network, network, network.

• Members

Sorry to hear it, dude. I'm self employed and have had little to no work for quite a while here. I've been looking for other jobs and slowly selling off my gear. {censored}'s depressing. I can't find work at all. And being self employed means i get no unemployment benefits. It's been a struggle.

Archived