NPD - iStomp

ItchyFingers

• Members

I don't usually post NPDs, but this one is kinda special.

iStomp.jpg

I saw this beast in one of the NAMM threads and thought it was a pretty cool idea. You buy the stompbox above for $150. You can download a multitude of pedals on your iPhone (ranging from 5-10 bucks), then upload one into the iStomp. What's cool is that you can demo any of the effects in the iPhone app while the iStomp is in your rig with your other pedals for 5 minutes for free. And as far as I know from my limited interaction, you can demo the same effect as many times as you want. Unplug your phone, and the pedal works like any standalone stompbox, with the last pedal you uploaded.

This is the first digital pedal I've bought in awhile and man, they have come a long way! No latency issues, none of that sterile, brittle sound, no tracking issues. Its not a multi-fx, and the thing that I think is cool is that all the circuitry and processing is dedicated to one effect, rather than being spread out over a dozen amp models, 30 dirts, 30 modulation types, etc. The iStomp came equipped with an OD and a delay for free, then they offered me a $0.99 download from a select series of pedals. The delay has a knob for speed, but you can also hold down the switch and make it tap tempo, and the indicator light flashes the tempo you've set - very cool. I expected the modulation effects to be pretty good, but wasn't expecting much from the dirt effects. I was gladly proven wrong! I ended up getting the amp driver, which gave a great dirty tone like a cranked amp, and I could adjust the amount of grit with my guitar's volume knob. Anyway, it wasn't something I expected to kick an analog pedal off my board, but after trying it out, it just might. Gotta wait for this honeymoomn to wear off first before I make any rash decisions. Heres a few of the screen shots from my phone.

iStompDelay.png

iStompFX25b.png

iStompEHX.png

iStompAD.png

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice. I like the direction that these are going, but it's still not quite there yet to entice me to buy.

I like the idea of using an ipad to program the effects, then push it out to a stompbox. But I'd rather not be limited to using one effect at a time. It makes more sense to be able to push out a patch that utilizes a complex effects chain. You could still be required to purchase the effect modules for the APP individually, but it seems silly to only have one effect on the pedal.

Secondly, it makes more sense to make the stompbox wifi so that you can push out different patches on the fly.

The knobs on the stompbox, if needed at all, should be assignable to whatever parameter of our choosing.

But as I type this, I'm pretty sure someone out there is already designing this.

• Members

Yeah yeah, {censored} like this is cool. The TC thing were you can load toneprint through your phone speaker to the guitar's pickup is also really cool.

High technology, easy user interface, good lookin design. The future is now, indeed.

I could see people demonstrating the technology with the iPhone to other people more than actually using the pedal.

• Members

Nice. I like the direction that these are going, but it's still not quite there yet to entice me to buy.

I like the idea of using an ipad to program the effects, then push it out to a stompbox. But I'd rather not be limited to using one effect at a time. It makes more sense to be able to push out a patch that utilizes a complex effects chain. You could still be required to purchase the effect modules for the APP individually, but it seems silly to only have one effect on the pedal.

Secondly, it makes more sense to make the stompbox wifi so that you can push out different patches on the fly.

The knobs on the stompbox, if needed at all, should be assignable to whatever parameter of our choosing.

But as I type this, I'm pretty sure someone out there is already designing this.

doh! Mike Matthews game changers...

• Members

so what exactly is the point of this? you cant make it into a virtual pedalboard in any respect, even while its plugged into iphone or anything, it can only be one pedal on at a time?? :confused: seems kind of dumb.

its definitely a step in the right direction, but i feel like you should be able to have more than 1 effect at a time going while its connected to iphone, and just use the istomp itself as the physical interface :idk:

so do you actually have this on your board, just as a 'one-at-a-time' multieffect pedal of sorts? or do you just play guitar --> istomp with whatever pedal loaded into it --> amp?

seems kind of like a gimmick at this point with not much practical use. like someone already said, more just to show to your friends than actually play through. hopefully they'll work on it some more. im glad the actual pedal tones sound good though :thu:

and :lol: Flanger Affair :lol:

• Members

I could see people demonstrating the technology with the iPhone to other people more than actually using the pedal.

Well that's how it starts.

I betcha there were a {censored} ton of cave men just dancing and screaming around the first fire before they got down to making wooly mammoth steaks.

• Members

so what exactly is the point of this? you cant make it into a virtual pedalboard in any respect, even while its plugged into iphone or anything, it can only be one pedal on at a time??
:confused:
seems kind of dumb.

its definitely a step in the right direction, but i feel like you should be able to have more than 1 effect at a time going while its connected to iphone, and just use the istomp itself as the physical interface
:idk:

so do you actually have this on your board, just as a 'one-at-a-time' multieffect pedal of sorts? or do you just play guitar --> istomp with whatever pedal loaded into it --> amp?

seems kind of like a gimmick at this point with not much practical use. like someone already said, more just to show to your friends than actually play through. hopefully they'll work on it some more. im glad the actual pedal tones sound good though
:thu:

and
:lol:
Flanger Affair

Yeah, its not meant to be a board, or even a multi-fx. I haven't ever really been a multi-fx guy, and I wasnt too blown away by the Line 6 M series, particularly the distortions ODs and fuzzes. I currently have the iStomp on my board with all my other pedals. The dirts stack nicely with my Sweet Honey OD and Pharoah, and the delays sounded nice when paired with dirt or my analog delay. For me it will be cool for dropping in a reverb patch when I play at home with my Vibro-Champs, or using a different flanger or phaser than what is on my pedalboard at shows. I agree its a total gimmick, and probably just the first of many new devices coming our way that will improve on the concept. I just thought it was cool to be able to goof around with pedals on my phone while I'm waiting in line, supposed to be working, etc, and have a really versatile pedal on my board that could be anything I want it to be that sounds legit.

I don't get the naming of the pedal knockoffs. They fully tell you in the pedal info "modeled after Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress", but they cant call the patch that - weird.

• Members

Well that's how it starts.

I betcha there were a {censored} ton of cave men just dancing and screaming around the first fire before they got down to making wooly mammoth steaks.

I get where you're trying to go but fire is different than a pedal that can have presets transferred to it via a phone - obviously. Just how good are the sounds offered? Is the pedal appealing merrited solely on the sounds or is the appeal now influenced in part (or howeve much) by the fact you can update it with your iPhone via the guitar's pickups.

• Members

Hey guys I'm seeing some confusion here about the iStomp. Let me clear up some of the Multi FX comments right off the bat. The iStomp is designed to allow pedal guys access to all of the models that are in our Multi FX units (and our next gen models). If you want Multi FX we have our entire RP Series and iPB-10 Programmable Pedalboard for that. This is designed to bridge the gap between pedal guys and floor MFX guys.

I'm here to answer more questions so fire away!

• Members

Cool product DigitechRep! I'm enjoying it immensely. How come you can't call the patches the same name as the pedals they're modeled after?

Legally we simply can't do that. Additionally, models are not the same as the actual pedal so it's more accurate to indicate that certain pedals are the inspiration for a particular model.

• Members

Legally we simply can't do that. Additionally, models are not the same as the actual pedal so it more accurate to indicate that certain pedals are the inspiration for a particular model.

Makes sense. Still cool, and I dig how you guys are working the different technologies together. Would you say the sound quality of the iStomp is better than the same patches in your Multi FX units?

• Members

Makes sense. Still cool, and I dig how you guys are working the different technologies together. Would you say the sound quality of the iStomp is better than the same patches in your Multi FX units?

Better, all of the models in the iStomp are part of our next gen models. They are either re-worked or new models in the iStomp.

• Members

The TC thing were you can load toneprint through your phone speaker to the guitar's pickup is also really cool.

I hadnt heard of that until now. googled it. Thats {censored}ing absurd. good {censored} the future.

• Members

so what exactly is the point of this? you cant make it into a virtual pedalboard in any respect, even while its plugged into iphone or anything, it can only be one pedal on at a time??
:confused:
seems kind of dumb.

its definitely a step in the right direction, but i feel like you should be able to have more than 1 effect at a time going while its connected to iphone, and just use the istomp itself as the physical interface
:idk:

seems kind of like a gimmick at this point with not much practical use. like someone already said, more just to show to your friends than actually play through. hopefully they'll work on it some more. im glad the actual pedal tones sound good though
:thu:

and
Flanger Affair

Actually, I think IK

Archived