NGD: 1970s Epiphone ET-278

V

• Members

So, this guitar used to belong to a friend of mine but he had sold it to Pentatonic Guitars in Brooklyn. I liked it a lot when I first played it but was applying for PhD programs and had no money at the time. So, I didn't see it for like two months and thought they'd sold it. Then yesterday I noticed it on the wall again. I guess it was hanging out with the acoustic guitars or something.

Anyway, 1970s MIJ Epiphone ET-278:

full_epiphone_2.jpg

epiphone_body.jpg

So, my friend got it without the original pickups in it and had put some modern Epiphone pickups in it. They are actually pretty nice-sounding pickups in this guitar, actually, but I decided to do something more fun.

I took the bridge pickup from my Univox Hi-Flier and put it in the bridge of this guitar which has a neck that fits my hands better. Then I put in a new pickup I had made for me recently in the neck. It's a split-coil in a humbucker form factor. It's really intended to be a bridge pickup but, actually, it sounds great in the neck of this guitar.

For those of you not familiar with split-coils, they are basically humbuckers but they only use 6 poles with one on each string. Basically, think like a P-Bass or G&L Z-Coil. This one has the two coils split between the two bobbins because if you put them all on the same one you can wind up with a dead spot in the middle when you bend the and G strings in the neck. This pickup doesn't have that problem. Basically it sounds like a super ballsy single coil. Alnico V pole pieces. 6 of them are not wound or magnetized and are strictly there for cosmetics.

• Members

bolt-on or set-neck?

Bolt on. A really weird bolt on.

Actually, I only have one set neck electric. My Rickenbacker.

I prefer neck through or bolt on. Not that I have a neck through at the moment, but there's one in the works.

• Members

maybe its maple? the one i played definitely was because it was clear finish

It's possible. It does have that kinda warm but clear sound that maple has. I know it's not mahogany cause i can see a bit of the wood through a finish chip and it's the color of like maple, ash, or alder. I assume it's wood from Japan. I dunno what grows over there besides cherry trees.

• Members

So, this guitar used to belong to a friend of mine but he had sold it to Pentatonic Guitars in Brooklyn. I liked it a lot when I first played it but was applying for PhD programs and had no money at the time. So, I didn't see it for like two months and thought they'd sold it. Then yesterday I noticed it on the wall again. I guess it was hanging out with the acoustic guitars or something.

Anyway, 1970s MIJ Epiphone ET-278:

full_epiphone_2.jpg

epiphone_body.jpg

So, my friend got it without the original pickups in it and had put some modern Epiphone pickups in it. They are actually pretty nice-sounding pickups in this guitar, actually, but I decided to do something more fun.

I took the bridge pickup from my Univox Hi-Flier and put it in the bridge of this guitar which has a neck that fits my hands better. Then I put in a new pickup I had made for me recently in the neck. It's a split-coil in a humbucker form factor. It's really intended to be a bridge pickup but, actually, it sounds great in the neck of this guitar.

For those of you not familiar with split-coils, they are basically humbuckers but they only use 6 poles with one on each string. Basically, think like a P-Bass or G&L Z-Coil. This one has the two coils split between the two bobbins because if you put them all on the same one you can wind up with a dead spot in the middle when you bend the and G strings in the neck. This pickup doesn't have that problem. Basically it sounds like a super ballsy single coil. Alnico V pole pieces. 6 of them are not wound or magnetized and are strictly there for cosmetics.

so much hipster in this post

hipsters dont bother me :thu:

• Members

Congrats! Here's mine

ek5e2q.jpg

Ooh that's sexy.

The neck is thin but not ridiculously so. It's maybe slightly thinner than a strat. Frets are small but not too bad. Overall it's pretty comfortable, actually.

And yeah. I live in brooklyn right next to williamsburg and bought it down the street. Pretty hipster of me.

The trem is like...imagine if you took a jazzmaster trem and attached it to a roller bridge and covered the extra strung length so you can rest your hand there.

• Members

Ooh that's sexy.

The neck is thin but not ridiculously so. It's maybe slightly thinner than a strat. Frets are small but not too bad. Overall it's pretty comfortable, actually.

And yeah. I live in brooklyn right next to williamsburg and bought it down the street. Pretty hipster of me.

The trem is like...imagine if you took a jazzmaster trem and attached it to a roller bridge and covered the extra strung length so you can rest your hand there.

thats like the one i tried. its awesome

Archived