NAD: VHT Special 6 Ultra - Who else's got one?

ambient

• Members

DSC_0357.jpg

DSC_0358.jpg

DSC_0360.jpg

Well, actually, it came a week ago but I've been too lazy to post a thread, apologies for the cellphone pics.

I bought it new from an online shop here for 26,000 yen delivered - that's about $335 depending on the day's exchange rate.

Cheap as hell and sounds great. It's basically a fender champ circuit with a 12" speaker, fx loop, extra gain stage on the 'ultra' input and a variable 'watts' control. It doesn't have the standard bass/mid/treble controls (apparently the tone stack is still there, they just used fixed resistors instead of pots) but it does have hi and low end roll off, as well as a tone knob.

I've only been able to use it with humbuckers so far but the amp seems quite dark - I usually keep the tone knob cranked for clean and mildly driven sounds. The darkness doesn't bother me, it actually sounds really good where it is, but apparently these things are really mod-friendly so it should be pretty simple to change the resistor values in the tonestack, or swap them out for trimpots etc.

The watts control is really interesting and surprisingly useful. I think it controls the power going into the power amp, effectively changing the headroom. So if you've got a really clean sound, it doesn't do much until you reduce it sufficiently that it begins to clip the power amp. The lower you set it, the more saturated it gets with less volume. Between this and the pre gain you can get pretty much any amount of drive at any volume - though I haven't had the chance to crank it right up yet.

• Members

Hey - thanks for linking, glad I found this post. This amp definitely interests me, I've been on the fence of getting several other small amps, the Tiny Terror, Tweaker, a couple of others, but this one seems more interesting to me, maybe because not everyone has it, and I like the feature set.

How's the stock speaker? I'm thinking of the head/cab instead, just because I'd like the two separate. In the US, head is $279, cab is $299, but the combo is only $329, surprisingly cheap for what you get. Kinda odd actually, that the cabinet alone is only $29 less than the combo.

Edit, also, i would imagine the head is easier to get to for tube replacement, etc.

AV-SP-6HU_1.jpg

Here's a pic of the back, any easier to access than the combo?

AV-SP-6HU_3.jpg

• Members

Hey - thanks for linking, glad I found this post. This amp definitely interests me, I've been on the fence of getting several other small amps, the Tiny Terror, Tweaker, a couple of others, but this one seems more interesting to me, maybe because not everyone has it, and I like the feature set.

How's the stock speaker? I'm thinking of the head/cab instead, just because I'd like the two separate. In the US, head is $279, cab is $299, but the combo is only $329, surprisingly cheap for what you get. Kinda odd actually, that the cabinet alone is only $29 less than the combo.

Edit, also, i would imagine the head is easier to get to for tube replacement, etc.

The stock speaker isn't bad, I'd have to try it with some cabs for comparison but it's not flubby or ice picky at all.

Surprising the difference between the cab and combo is so small, they're pretty well made though.

On tube replacement, once I get the back off I'll probably remove the rear grill completely so I can reach the tubes any time I want. It seems like it's supposed to come off just by removing the screws I did, but probably is a tight fit or stuck with some clue from the tolex.I just don't have any tools to pry it off with.

EDIT: the head only has 2 less screws so I doubt it'll be much different. I've read a lot about people doing tube swaps, so maybe it's just mine that doesn't wanna let the back go.

Apparently they designed it so it could take most types power tubes, so it's meant to be removed somehow.

• Members

Actually in surfing MF's site, they have 5 different cabs for their amps (two for the standard series, not sure if they're different sizes, or just cosmetically different with the front wood fascia). Anyways, for the Ultra6 series there is:

closed back 1 x12 with their own speaker, birch cab, a deal at $164

an open 2x12 with their own speakers, birch for $259

and an open 1x12 with a Celestion G12H for $299

Wonder how the stock speaker is, and whether the closed back cab for less $ is worth it, or the pricier Celestion open cab?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=vht+cabinet

• Members

This is a cool little adapter that will let you run it with EL84's if you want to. $19

DV016_Jpg_Large_H73572_top_angle.jpg

I'd probably stick with the 6v6 or maybe try a EL34 in there, I have a VoxAC15 already, so don't need another EL84.

Funny how this is a Fender design essentially, and it used to be that VHT were known mostly as metal amps (weren't they? or maybe I dream't that). That mostly seems to have completely changed, for the better I might add.

• Members

This is a cool little adapter that will let you run it with EL84's if you want to. $19

I'd probably stick with the 6v6 or maybe try a EL34 in there, I have a VoxAC15 already, so don't need another EL84.

Funny how this is a Fender design essentially, and it used to be that VHT were known mostly as metal amps (weren't they? or maybe I dream't that). That mostly seems to have completely changed, for the better I might add.

Cool, reminds me of THD's yellowjackets.

Reading on some other forum, there may be some rebiasing to do if you wanna try some bigger tubes like 6L6s or KT88s. Or keep an eye on the temperature and turn it off for a while every couple of hours.

Apparently the dude who started VHT sold the business and started a new one. The folks who bought it seem to have changed direction to hand-wired tube amps.

I think it's supposed to be a combination of different fenders, black face tone stack but a tweed style boost...or something.

• Members

these interest me quite a lot. I'm not sure if I would need the Ultra though, I have played the Special 6 combo and it sounded fantastic, and the price was right!

I went with the ultra for the watts control and the 12" speaker. Though TBH just using the low power mode would probably be fine if you don't need it to break up at low volume.

• Members

Actually in surfing MF's site, they have 5 different cabs for their amps (two for the standard series, not sure if they're different sizes, or just cosmetically different with the front wood fascia). Anyways, for the Ultra6 series there is:

closed back 1 x12 with their own speaker, birch cab, a deal at $164

an open 2x12 with their own speakers, birch for $259

and an open 1x12 with a Celestion G12H for $299

Wonder how the stock speaker is, and whether the closed back cab for less $ is worth it, or the pricier Celestion open cab?

Stock speaker seems fine so far, it would probably be cheaper to replace it with something from weber than buy the celesion one if your not happy with it. Or put the greenback from your AC15 in there and then grab an alnico blue for the vox.

• Members

Yep - 'old' VHT are not Fryette amps and a Chinese company bought the VHT name. I have always been interested in the Special 6, since neither of my amps exactly excel at clean sounds.

I'm pretty sure it's an american company, though their 'special' line is made at their own factory in china.

• Members

Special 6 is the only amp I own (and the only one that would fit since I share a small apartment with 3 other guys. I really like it, it records fairly well, takes all sorts of pedals well and it's very compact.

For those wondering about cleans, I think they're solid. They certainly aren't the best I've heard but for a $200 tube combo, they're great.

• Members

The stock 6v6 was ok. But when I threw a good 6l6 in it,it just came alive. When I bought this amp I tried way too many lower wattage stuff and this thing stood head and shoulders above the rest.

Yea I wanna try some other tubes but for some reason I can't get the back off.

• Members

Happy NAD!

I tried the original special 6 at one shop and really liked it, didn't but it because I thought it was going to be too loud for home.. it is not?

That's one of the reasons I went with the Ultra, it's got the 'watts' control.

Though if you just play clean you can turn it down as much as you want. The watts thing helps with getting dirty sounds at low levels. It can get pretty dirty and quite quiet.

I do live in an apartment but I've only had it for a week and been playing just during the day. No problems so far as I'm sensible with my playing times and keep it up off the floor.

• Members

The stock 6v6 was ok. But when I threw a good 6l6 in it,it just came alive. When I bought this amp I tried way too many lower wattage stuff and this thing stood head and shoulders above the rest.

Does a 6L6 drop right in then, to replace the 6v6 without any issues? What does the 6L6 do differently?

Archived