NAD: VHT Special 6 Ultra - Who else's got one?

ambient

• Members

I've had one for couple months now. Immediately swapped tubes to 1 JJ and 2 Mullards. Makes it usable, but I'm still tweaking on it to get "my tone".

I'm running it through a Whitebox 1x12 V30.

The boost on it is really good for this kind of cheap amp. Using several pedals and it works, but not the best amp I've owned.

For the price though...I'd say it's a winner.

• Members

I've got both the Ultra combo and the Special 6 Head and 1X12 cab. Like em both a bunch but I need to replace the tubes in the Ultra ASAP (the sound has thinned out big time since I got it). I replaced the pre tube in the Special 6 head with a EH 12AY7 and dig it a bunch. The watts control on the Ultra is very, very cool. Its a feature IMHO which all tube amps should have. Very effective. Turning it down and breakup starts coming on earlier and you get a nice squishy response. Very cool amps.

• Members

I first bought the Special 6 Ultra and collected a pile of tubes, trying each one for different tone and headroom. In the power section, I like a TungSol 5881 best for big, round and smooth mid-range. It gives you a little more headroom, but if headroom is what you want, you should try the Special 12/20.

I recently bought the 12/20 and it is even better than the 6 Ultra. You get tons of clean headroom. When you step on the boost, it jumps up in volume and gives you even more touch response overdrive. the 12/20 is designed to be a fairly clean platform for pedals. It reminds me of old school tube amps. There is enough headroom to get a supreme clean sound, but has tweak-ability to get a great overdrive sound. If you attach it to a pedalboard, you are in sonic heaven. I would rather have a clean base that can be overdriven and then add pedals than to have to fight with an amp to push it hard enough to get volume, while trying to remain clean enough for use. The 12/20 is absolutely loud enough for a gig.. No question about it. The price is a little more than the Special 6, but you get a lot of features and ability for the small jump in price. Think of it like this. You buy a Special 6, which is great for home use, then you buy a really nice pedal, and you have about the same cost as a Special 12/20. When you look at it like that, it is a no brainer.

I still love my Special 6, but the perfect amp for me is one notch up with the Special 12/20.

TJ

• Members

For me, I didn't need an amp to gig with and wanted a small package. Pretty much all rehearsal studios and gig venues have their own back line. Though I can't wait to run dual-mono using the VHT and the inevitable JC-120 that every place has.

However the Special 12/20 does look good on paper.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived