Theoretical Amp Purchase

Ryan.

• Members

Get a bass head with a lightweight cab? IDK

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/genz-benz-shuttle-3.0-300-watt-lightweight-bass-amp

solid state head running in at 3 lbs

http://www.lopoline.com/Store/2x12-Extension-Cabinets

Most of these cabs clock in at 32 lbs. Add the speakers of your choice.

No idea how this kind of combo would sound, but it'd be clean.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got the impression he would like some clean headroom, in which the Blues Jr isn't a great choice.

I guess the princeton could work, but like most modern fenders it could do with a new speaker and bunch of other upgrades, otherwise welcome to icepick hell.

nah man. sure a new speaker would be good in most cases, but nothing icepicky about the blues jr or a princeton in my experience at least. i dont know how trebly your guitars are.

and i feel the blues Jr has enough clean headroom, but it sounds like a princeton is more suited to what you need subsy.

also, el cu

• Members

here is an idea subs.

a customer of mine (with very high amp standards) has been professing his love for this thing: http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php5?id=142?=TubeMeister%2018%20Head

thing with it is, is that it has a really good (supposedly) D.I built into it as well. So for live shows you can plug directly in, makes for a better, more consistent live sound, then you just have to worry about getting a little 1x12 cab and point it at your brain to hear yourself.

• Members

here is an idea subs.

a customer of mine (with very high amp standards) has been professing his love for this thing:

thing with it is, is that it has a really good (supposedly) D.I built into it as well. So for live shows you can plug directly in, makes for a better, more consistent live sound, then you just have to worry about getting a little 1x12 cab and point it at your brain to hear yourself.

$600ish

• Members

hmm nobody said vox ac15?

as solid state, it does not need to be a roland jc 120, a jc 75 could be enough

i currently use my laney lc15r but through my 2x12 cab, with the 1x10 it does not have enough "balls". this thing sounds really great, but it almost has no headroom

i also played a drri and the clean headroom was really lacking compared to my peavey classic 30, that said the princeton as the smaller brother, i would not expect a lot headroom from them either.

2x12 combos are way tooo heavy to lug around, one reason i'm not owning a vox ac30, another one is its way to loud before it breaks up...

so maybe an ac15 would be right, enough headroom but not soo loud and heavy.

the other 15w combos i would not recommend because of the lack of headroom i experienced (i never tried an ac15, you should try it before)

a peavey classic 30 would also be a great choice, as a 1x12 its still a "small" combo but on the heavier side

and the roland jc's

Archived