some guy is threatening me with a paypal dispute..

gambit

• Members

Start of Feb:

Pedal arrived on saturday but only got a chance to try it out today - sounds awesome! only thing is after about 5 mins it stopped letting any signal through when turned on, however i'd just got home and the house was absolutely freezing, and i've read that these things don't like the cold so that's probably it. I've put it somewhere warm and will let you know if that sorts it out

Thanks a lot, __

Today:

hi gareth, i bought a ______ off you a few weeks ago

I have tried it with several brand new batteries and power supplies but still it cuts out after about 15 minutes of playing. In the ad it said it was in perfect working order, so I'm afraid i would like a refund, or I shall have to open a paypal dispute

Thanks, ___

i've asked him what power supplies he's been using to rule out lack of current or incorrect voltage.. he doesn't sound like an idiot, but this is the internet, so you can never be too sure..

i sent it recorded and insured with Royal Mail and should still have the receipt, but how lenient/trusting should i be that this guy's not just {censored}ed it up and is now wanting a refund? :idk:

• Members

No it's being powered on its own, i have also tried it with other 9v power supplies which i know work

Neither do i, i thought that aswell but neither the tube or metal casing around it seem to get hot

After the cut out the bypass still works, it just doesn't let any signal through when not in bypass, the led where the tube is stops flashing, but the led's for the bypass switch and 1/2 switch still work so power is getting to the pedal

The only way i have found of making it come back to life is to unplug it, if it's running on batteries unplug the battery holder, then leave it

for about 20 minutes, after which it usually works again

As far as I can tell there are no obvious problems with it such as the valve being loose or anything like that, I have opened up the case and had a quick look inside, but as far as i could see everything was plugged in, there were no loose solderings or anything and it all looked as if it should work, my electronics knowledge doesn't go past that however

--------------------

so the options..

- offer a partial refund to cover costs of fixing it? suggesting the way he's stored it may have a played a significant role :idk:..

- provide him with a copy of the postal receipt to file a claim with Royal Mail (he needs to do this, and should have kept the original packaging).

- get {censored}ed over by paypal.

• Members

Keep in mind that he may well be a member here.

As others have said, keep it out of Paypal's hands and offer him a refund for the pedal back. It sucks but it's the best option open to you.

Why is he filing a claim with Royal Mail - had they damaged it?

• Members

he hasn't filed anything yet. but i could certainly claim the damage was done during postage. despite being bubblewrapped to {censored} etc..

I would think you'd need some kind of proof to get any cash off Royal Mail (damaged packaging etc) and the buyer hasn't said it looked damaged. Even if you could get anything out of them, knowing Royal Mail it would probably take about 3 months by which time the buyer would have got impatient and filed the claim.

Paypal offer absolutely no protection to the seller in my experience. Your only course of action is to pay him the cash, get the pedal back and hope it's an easy fix.

• Members

did you have any problems with the pedal before? or did you not use it much before you sold it and just gave it a quick test for a few minutes before you sent it out? i've definitely sold gear i haven't played in awhile and give it a quick 5 minute test before i send it out just to check that everything is working. haven't had any issues but maybe that is what happened.

he seems pretty reasonable, i would offer a refund once you got the pedal back. it sucks but it's better than pissing him off and potentially spiting you by keeping the pedal and filing the claim.

• Members

just get the pedal back and refund him the money.

once thats taken care of, get the pedal fixed or whatever without paypal over your head.

We're like broken records on this subject man. Always insist on return/refund if the buyer even hints at a problem. Usually stops em dead.

• Members

People seem to be recommending sending the money back without involving paypal. I disagree; if you send him the money outside of a paypal-based refund he could still request a refund through paypal as well and get it; as far as they're concerned disputes go through them and trying to bypass them can {censored} you over.

• Members

I once got a DD-20 I thought was bad because I couldn't use it on my pedalboard. It would cut off about a minute. I checked the manual and found out that the pedalboard wasnt producing enough amps to run the pedal. Got the right power adapter and its worked ever since.

• Members

People seem to be recommending sending the money back without involving paypal. I disagree; if you send him the money outside of a paypal-based refund he could still request a refund through paypal as well and get it; as far as they're concerned disputes go through them and trying to bypass them can {censored} you over.

This man knows how to cover his ass :thu:

• Members

If you've talked him through everything taking baby steps then just ask him to return the pedal and say you'll look at it, I've never actually had a pedal returned because whenever I say "OK let me look at it" they just disappear :lol: If you get it back and it works you can refund him the cost of the pedal minus all the shipping because he claimed it didn't work when it actually does.

Whatever you do try avoid a case, you'll lose the money and there's a chance you'll lose the pedal too.

Archived