decent monitoring headphones; whatcha got?

Faldoe

• Members

do yourself a favor and get these:

http://gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm

img-ultraphones.jpg

At $230, they are not cheap--but they have been the single best investment i've made in my home studio rig. In terms of isolation--NOTHING is better. this is huge when you're trying to find the right mic placement for loud sources like guitars and drums. you actually can hear what is being recorded, what you're hearing isn't corrupted by the sound of the room bleeding in. for the first time i could actually hear the importance of mic placement which was the single biggest improvement in my recordings.

so {censored}ing good.

• Members
do yourself a favor and get these:

http://gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm

img-ultraphones.jpg

At $230, they are not cheap--but they have been the single best investment i've made in my home studio rig. In terms of isolation--NOTHING is better. this is huge when you're trying to find the right mic placement for loud sources like guitars and drums. you actually can hear what is being recorded, what you're hearing isn't corrupted by the sound of the room bleeding in. for the first time i could actually hear the importance of mic placement which was the single biggest improvement in my recordings.

so {censored}ing good.

hmmmm interesante

I've got several different sets of headphones.

For sound quality, I really like the Grado SR-125's. They're open-backed though, so they are completely unusable for tracking in close proximity to microphones.

For situations where isolation is a concern, I've been using Direct Sound EX-29 Extreme Isolation cans. All the points Bob made about being able to hear things as you're placing your microphones, etc. apply to these headphones too.

Other cans do very well in the isolation department, including the Sennheiser HD280's, which I have a set of and generally really like. They're more comfortable than the Sonys (which I also have) and not quite as bright (a good thing IMO), but not quite as accurate as the Grados. Still, for $99, they're an excellent choice. Good sound, very good isolation.

Another good "all around" choice would be the new KRK headphones - the KNR-8400 and KNR-6400. In fact, I have the KNS-8400's plugged into my laptop as I'm typing this. They have really good isolation, top quality sound, and they're priced quite reasonably for the level of performance they offer. The '8400's are quite possibly the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

• Members

I've got several different sets of headphones.

For situations where isolation is a concern, I've been using
All the points Bob made about being able to hear things as you're placing your microphones, etc. apply to these headphones too.

i think the difference is that the Ultraphones have the Sony 7506's in them--so in addition to getting superb isolation, you're also getting a very good monitoring headphone. haven't tried the EX-29's--just read that they're great for isolation, but not really the best headphones.

i think the difference is that the Ultraphones have the Sony 7506's in them--so in addition to getting superb isolation, you're also getting a very good monitoring headphone. haven't tried the EX-29's--just read that they're great for isolation, but not really the best headphones.

The EX-29's aren't bad really... the Sennheisers sound better IMHO, and isolate nearly as well (or at least well enough to meet the needs of most people), and the Sony 7506's definitely have more highs (a bit too much IMHO - they're pretty bright), but frankly, I'd be hesitant to rely on any cans that had isolation as their primary design criteria for any sort of critical listening. Heck, I've got several pairs of Sonys, and I'd rather not rely on any of them for reference... although they're all fine for tracking.

• Members

Direct Sound EX-29 Extreme Isolation cans. All the points Bob made about being able to hear things as you're placing your microphones, etc. apply to these headphones too.

I do like having my Extreme Iso's for drum or vocal tracking where headphone bleed is more likely to occur. Never got real comfortable listening through headphones while positioning. It's more of a hindrance to me than anything, because I'll spend too much time convincing myself that something sounds ideal when I could just be making A/B comparisons and going off of that. Guess I need to try it more to get used to it, but I wouldn't use the Extreme's for it since I find that they're mid heavy (I have the older grey ones if that makes a difference).

Archived