Anyony tried the new vox delaylab?

hugbot

• Members

i've just posted a rant on the Vox forums about them not releasing a manual despite the pedals being available. hopefully some knobhead in the marketing department will realise what a bunch of {censored}wits they are / will finish up with the translations, so it can get posted some time this week!! :mad:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Vintage: Tube Echo

This models a tape echo with a vacuum tube preamplifier

effect. The preamplifier effect is also applied to dry

sound.

:facepalm: they copied the DL-4. should have had a dry-thru option like the M-series.

Dual delays appear to be custom set, ie, not like the DD-20 where one is limited to 100ms.

Dual Band delays sound interesting:

This setting arranges the Lo Band Delay that is applied

with low frequency and the Hi Band Delay that is applied

with high frequency in parallel.

Looper mode: can also choose between 3 delay types. Analog, Digital, Space.

35ck4yg.jpg

this suggests that the reverse delay modes also have forward delays and you can mix between fwd and reverse.. interesting.. DD-5'd :idk:

• Members

this manual

The parameter chart at the end is more informative on the specifics- looks like the space delay incorporates a pitch shifter and the parallel dual delay mode allows the second delay as a ratio of the first with a separate mix control.

"Constant Parameters" seems to be something akin to global tap tempo, although it's not clear whether it works with preset sounds.

It reads like a poor translation in to english from another language.

Still, looks promising.

• Members

Looper mode: can also choose between 3 delay types. Analog, Digital, Space.

Intrigued by the digital delay/looper. Looks like you could use the delay essentially as a separate loop with a different loop time to the first. Interesting 80s-King-Crimson-meets-Steve-Reich possibilities.

• Members

i think i'll give it a miss. even though it looks way better than the DL-4 i fear the mix/delay level issue was too fundamental a flaw with the DL-4 i had.. the tube echo effecting the dry signal is {censored} (it's like a filter is applied to all your distortions), so will need to hear some demo's to convince me otherwise.

i think i saw a Frankfurt video yesterday with someone demo'ing the reverb on it. it sounded like a nice reverb.. like the delays had been dialled down but the reverb remained. that's definitely an advantage over the DL-4.

bad cam clipping.. but:

• Members

a demo would be good.. but even just a critical review would be fine. all the videos i've seen of the pedal so far have the mix knob set 50/50... and no-one's put the feedback up to edge-of-oscillation yet either.

• Members

Definitely. If it really is bobbins I might just have time to cancel my order with PMT
:D

gambit: did you see the Premier Guitar print review?

no? is it as benign a review as i imagine it to be?

• Members

no? is it as benign a review as i imagine it to be?

Pretty much. They seemed reasonably impressed. I'll keep an eye out for it in the UK guitar mags, although they're likely to be just as keen to keep their advertising revenues constant... You'll certainly get an in-depth critical review from yours truly.

• Members
i've just posted a rant on the Vox forums about them not releasing a manual despite the pedals being available. hopefully some knobhead in the marketing department will realise what a bunch of {censored}wits they are / will finish up with the translations, so it can get posted some time this week!!
:mad:

Looks like your campaign has worked. Manual is on the UK site now.

• Members

Having read (the not very well written) manual, I have a couple of concerns.

In the advertising blurb, the website says the following about the looper;
"Plus, the DelayLab is able to create performances overflowing with originality by adjusting the L/R delay times independently, or by attenuating the volume of the looped phrases each time you overdub so that the latest overdub will stand out."

However, it doesn't actually state if you can control the volume attenuation of the loop manually - the manual only states the Custom Space Delay looper mode has this feature and that it appears to be by a pre-set amount.

A shame if this is the case, as I use the feedback control on my loopers all the time to fade out older overdubs, etc...

I also find it quite funny that the actual delay times available are not specified in the manual at all!

Archived